Lepy 2024A + - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2016, 09:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lepy 2024A +

Hi all, new member here, registered to ask a question regarding a recent purchase.

I have a ‘Lepy 2024A +’ purchased from Amazon UK (sold by ‘Finer Shop’ but fulfilled by Amazon)

I was a little concerned when ordering that there have been / may be fakes or copies that are inferior to the original.

Could anyone take a look at the image of the internals and tell me if it looks ok?
I was expecting to see a large heatsink over the ‘chip’, as per the internal images of the 2020 I have seen online.

I haven’t actually tried the Amp for more than a couple of minutes, not had time.
But don’t want to go to the trouble of setting everything up if I’ve got to return it.

Any views or advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lepy 2024a+.jpg (759.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 7th December 2016, 11:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 2024 doesn't have a heatsink on the chip , it's lower power than the 2020 ( about 6 w @ 0.1 %Thd
into 8 ohm ) .
The chip is marked Korea , Tripath shifted production there under licence before they folded but whether its a genuine Nos is debatable chips are becoming pretty hard to find now . My 2 year old amp is exactly the same internally and sounds great newer lapais that use " tripath " chips have chinese branded ones.
Most manufacturer's now use TI chips , as Lapai now do in the latest 2020 .
Give it a listen if you aren't happy send it back , if you keep use a better psu 12 v 5 a and don't use tone controls they lower the volume and smear the sound when engaged .

Last edited by Konzentr8; 7th December 2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 7th December 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konzentr8 View Post
The 2024 doesn't have a heatsink on the chip , it's lower power than the 2020 ( about 6 w @ 0.1 %Thd
into 8 ohm ) .
The chip is marked Korea , Tripath shifted production there under licence before they folded but whether its a genuine Nos is debatable chips are becoming pretty hard to find now . My 2 year old amp is exactly the same internally and sounds great newer lapais that use " tripath " chips have chinese branded ones.
Most manufacturer's now use TI chips , as Lapai now do in the latest 2020 .
Give it a listen if you aren't happy send it back , if you keep use a better psu 12 v 5 a and don't use tone controls they lower the volume and smear the sound when engaged .
That's great, thanks for the reply, I was a little worried it was fake.

I am connecting to some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, and using a Chromecast Audio. At least that's my plan.
I did power it up briefly last night (fairly quietly as family asleep!). It seems to sound muddy if that's the correct term, unless I enabled the tone to increase the treble. But that was a very quick test so I'll check properly this evening hopefully.

Thanks again

Last edited by phil001; 7th December 2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 7th December 2016, 11:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh and i just remembered something else , for some reason L and R channels are wired the wrong way round on these amps . I thought it was just mine but i have read lots of posts on various sites about this , from memory the 2020 is the same and other Tripath based amps from different manufacturer's also have this " issue " .
Old 7th December 2016, 11:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

These amps do seem to benefit from a bit of " break in " time , sounding a lot cleaner after some hours of use. A better psu helps enormously , i use a chennel well 12 v 5 a about 12 quid on Amazon .
The tone control if off when the button is out btw , took me a few days before i realised this when i got mine .
Remember you only have limited headroom these amps sound great up to a point then will suddenly clip however the amp mutes if overdriven , again a better psu will give you higher peaks before this happens.
I used the Wharfedale . 9 's with mine and about 12 o'clock on the volume was the limit but in a small room plenty loud enough .
If you can set it up and let it play at low volume for a day or so before doing any " critical " listening it should improve .
Old 7th December 2016, 11:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These amps do seem to benefit from a bit of " break in " time , sounding a lot cleaner after some hours of use. A better psu helps enormously , i use a chennel well 12 v 5 a about 12 quid on Amazon .
The tone control if off when the button is out btw , took me a few days before i realised this when i got mine .
Remember you only have limited headroom these amps sound great up to a point then will suddenly clip however the amp mutes if overdriven , again a better psu will give you higher peaks before this happens.
I used the Wharfedale . 9 's with mine and about 12 o'clock on the volume was the limit but in a small room plenty loud enough .
If you can set it up and let it play at low volume for a day or so before doing any " critical " listening it should improve .

Thanks

I used a 5A PSU I had from a monitor anyway, didn't really trust the included one.

I've just noticed that the Chromecast audio has a Full Dynamic Range setting which will be worth trying too, might improve things.

I'll check the speaker L/R outputs too thanks. (I assume you were referring to the outputs, not inputs being reversed.)

This will only really be used at low volume, as I have small children and live in a semi, so loud music is not really good

And just to note I'm definitely no audio file, but do appreciate 'nice' sounding equipment

Cheers
Old 7th December 2016, 12:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's the inputs reversed phil not the speaker outputs , I know nothing about chromecast unfortunately , i still use cd , but if there are adjustments available at source then definitely worth some experimenting .
As i mentioned though give it a few days you will be surprised how much the sound will improve .
Old 7th December 2016, 12:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's the inputs reversed phil not the speaker outputs , I know nothing about chromecast unfortunately , i still use cd , but if there are adjustments available at source then definitely worth some experimenting .
As i mentioned though give it a few days you will be surprised how much the sound will improve .
Thanks (yet again).

I was actually using the 3.5mm jack input as that's the cable that came with Chromecast. Is that reversed too?

Cheers
Old 7th December 2016, 01:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've never used that input , just play a section of music you know well where say the drums for example are biased to the left/right and see if its reversed through the amp . A lot of older " stereo "stuff is good for this as often instruments are totally biased to one channel and vocals the other .

Btw phil... no need to keep quoting the previous post here just any specific part such as a question . If Pano ( one of the forum mods ) sees it he will shout

Last edited by Konzentr8; 7th December 2016 at 01:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!