Tda1514 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2004, 07:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tda1514

Hello all,

I've got a few TDA1514's lying around and was hoping to build a Gainclone with them. Has anybody tried this? I know this chip is prone to random self-destruction, but I got the chips already.
In the datasheet is a schematic, but it has quite a lot of parts in it (especially caps), do I really need all these parts? Which ones can I, more or less safe, leave out?

Thanks,

Jarno.
Old 15th March 2004, 09:28 AM   #2
awboy is offline awboy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tda1514

Quote:
[i] I know this chip is prone to random self-destruction, but I got the chips already.
In the datasheet is a schematic, but it has quite a lot of parts in it (especially caps)
Jarno. [/B]
I count 8 caps and 7 resistors, is that a lot?
Anyway, I tried without the input bandpass (two caps and a resistor) and without the bootstrap parts(2) in the datasheet.
It behaved quite good.
And of course I fried this nice piece by going higher and higher in output power with a square signal. (Why dont they just incorporate a signal limiter for us "we want more's")
Old 15th March 2004, 09:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response!
I think the schematic in the datasheet does contain a lot of parts if you compare this schematic with one of the LM3875 gainclone schematics containing just a few resistors and a cap.

I will try the chip without the input filter and bootstrap (I didn't know if this part of the schematic was crucial or not).

Not many people use this part, it seems it blows up far to easily. From what I gather it does sound nice, however. Oh well, I got three of them for free from a colleague, if I have managed to blow all these up then I might build a gainclone using (the more commonly used) LM3875 or LM3886.

Thanks,

Jarno.
Old 15th March 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Jarno

One problem with the TDA1514 is the datasheet. Strangely, the values listed result in instability.

With some minor changes and alteration of values, the TDA1514 can be made very stable.

We have sold quite a few of our kits using this IC and there have been no complains about the amplifier blowing up because of oscillations.

There are some information on my site that you may find useful.
Old 14th April 2004, 01:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Mcp,

On your site there's just a schematic for this amp, have you got a partslist for me as well?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Jarno.
Old 14th April 2004, 02:40 PM   #6
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Jarno

Drop me a mail and I'll send the values over to you.

Regards
Old 31st May 2004, 11:03 PM   #7
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I built a couple of Maplin kits (now sadly discontinued) for this IC back in '91; the circuit & component values are generally similar to the datasheet but they add a resistor (680k) between pins 2/3 & 6 (as I see the mcp schematic shows as R7) and most of the electrolytics are bypassed with 10n or 100n film caps (so the parts count totals 22 in all, though they do say R5, R6 and C6 on the mcp schematic, plus their 100n film across C6, can be dropped).

2000uF per rail were mounted on-board, I must try moving the feedback resistor to across the IC leads in true gainclone style

Performed flawlessly, though it's only on +/-23V rails to 8R.

Hide this!Advertise here!