Options of Volume & transformer for group buy GC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2004, 07:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Options of Volume & transformer for group buy GC?

Greetings,

I have searched the archive & web to find info on these issues & am a bit confused (don't worry, I used to it).

First, what are the options on the volume control? Most people seem to use an attenuator in the web designs. Looking at PartsExpress or RadioShack, I find potentiometers for about $1.25 USD. My Qs: Is there a middle ground such as higher grade pot? Also, where can I find good pots & parts for attenuators? I think I can do the knobs myself ;-)

Second, in BrianGTs group buy post there is some info on transformers. My take on the archives is that the bare minimum is a non-toroidal tranformer 160 VCT with 18-0-18 V secondaries, ?? amps. Ideal is dual torodials with secondaries ~22V. Am I on base here?

Finally, I have found a torodial offered with the following info: "120V input Marked at 300 Watt checked out as 500W, Output Dual 52V, Dual 10V, 20V, and 6.3V taps". Is this acceptable using the 20V secondaries for the chip?

Thanks in advance,
Bret Morrow

Hide this!Advertise here!