Who would be interested in a complete kit product? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2004, 02:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Who would be interested in a complete kit product?

I don't want to step on any toes here but if people would be interested in a complete kit product I'd be more than happy to put something together.

The complete kit project offered Brian is great but I have a feeling that at some point shuffling money & parts around is going to get old (especially once your married Brian

I have a relationship with a fabrication company that is doing other chassis work for me. I'd envision a small simple chassis with all CNC machine work done for all inputs/outputs etc.... It would still be attractive, not a work of art like many of the better ones I've seen here but something that is tasteful and attractive.

Overall the parts cost in quantity would be somewhere around $100-$120 depending on parts chosen. I'd have to sell it for around $150-$185 in order to feed the kids but that is still a good bit better than the average DIYer can do when assembling a kit in small volume. It also alleviates the need to figure out how to put together an attractive & well-designed box for the project. I'd also be willing to donate a portion of the proceeds to diyaudio.com for the sake of running the forum.

I'd say it makes the most sense for the general kit to source good quality parts but not the BGs & Caddocks. I'd source Panasonic FCs & the Vishay/Dale metal films which are good parts but cost competitive. People who want to upgrade can do so by replacing them with their choice of tweako parts. I'd use Cardas parts for inputs & outputs simply because I already stock them.

Anyway... like I said. I don't want to step on any toes. I know Peter & Ron are selling things for GC builders. If this is somehow offense to anyone I apologize in advance. I just thought I'd drop the suggestion since it is a project I'd love to do and I think it would be a good stepping-stone for beginning DIYers to get their feet into the waters.

Kevin Haskins
www.diycable.com
Old 6th March 2004, 11:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here are a couple pictures from our larger chassis. The front and rear panels are flat aluminum plate. This way we use the same clam-shell for different configurations by changing front/rear panels. A GC size enclosure measuring about 14" wide by 10.5" deep and 3.5" tall would be a nice general size box for a number of configurations.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2004, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I could be interested in some of the chassis alone.
Old 7th March 2004, 04:43 AM   #4
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I think a kit like this would sell- especially on your website.
As you said- it's strength would be that everything would be included- case, knobs, feet, pot, input and output terminals.
Good instructions would seal the deal.

Punching or drilling all those holes is no fun!

It would be conveniant to recommend to friends that express interest in DIY.

Maybe a thick front plate option.

Personally, I will probably have enough gainclones for a while after this buy- unless I go home theater- wait there's an idea-
a 5 channel version in a large case. With modular gainclone boards that you could buy as you need them. Maybe it comes with just 2 channels initially.
Old 7th March 2004, 08:50 PM   #5
jhead is offline jhead  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in your project maybe offer just the case as a option for those that already have all the other parts to build up completed Amps
Old 8th March 2004, 04:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
I would definitely be interested in a full kit like this...I know some will say that it defeats the theory of "DIY", but it would just be like training wheels for me. I have a good background with electronics and EE, but haven't actually built something before. Having a kit that I could put together to get my feet wet would allow me to get a hands-on understanding of what is required to build an amp...and after that, I could take control of individual parts going into the project.

If you do offer a kit, definitely count me in for one.
Old 8th March 2004, 02:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes.... we would make the chassis available as a stand alone product. One of the ideas for the chassis is that it could be used for any number of products. If you look at the larger version above you will notice that the front & rear panels are flat and attach with fastners. We did this so that we could sell the clam-shell enclosure and people who wanted an enclosure for other products could use the following service.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

We have a templete for the front & rear panels. You download their software and then you can completely customize your own chassis design. We of course provide dimensions & parts for our chassis & the parts that I sell (Cardas post, RCAs & input IECs). In a manner of minutes you can customize your own front a rear panel and send off the order for a custom CNC cut front & rear panel. You can even engrave your name, & written information on the front & rear panels. Anodizing and finish options are available. Cost for a complete CNC cut custom chassis should be under $200.

The bottom of the chassis has a grid for various PCB layouts. We poked some holes in the larger chassis specifically for our digital amplifier but there is also a general grid so that you could design your PCB mounting locations around the layout. There is a hole cut already in the front corner for the standard toroid power transformer mounting position.

The smalller GC chassis would follow the same guidelines except the box would be smaller.
Old 9th March 2004, 09:02 PM   #8
kerryvh is offline kerryvh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Who would be interested in a complete kit product?

I have been wanting to build a Gainclone and would definitely be interested in a kit. Chasing down the parts and coming up with what design to follow up on has been too time consuming for me personally to get it done. You will probably find many people like me interested in this approach.
Old 9th March 2004, 11:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Who would be interested in a complete kit product?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Haskins

Overall the parts cost in quantity would be somewhere around $100-$120 depending on parts chosen. I'd have to sell it for around $150-$185 in order to feed the kids but that is still a good bit better than the average DIYer can do when assembling a kit in small volume.
Originally you said about 140-185 for a complete kit. In a later post you said 200 for the chassis. ?????
Old 10th March 2004, 12:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The $200 would be a ball-park figure for the custom chassis. Since we don't have any affiliation with FrontPanelExpress what they charge would be determined by them & you. The free software you can download from their site will quote you an exact price as you make changes.

If we were to develop a kit, we could standardize on one front/back panel design and the price would be much lower. My cost on the front/rear panel for the larger enclosure is $10 each in 50 peice quantities. I've custom ordered a couple from Front Panel and the price was around $40 each for a one unit custom design. Hense the difference in price is due to the cost of using the standard design vs. a custom one.

Does that make sense?

Hide this!Advertise here!