Who would be interested in a complete kit product? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2004, 04:55 AM   #11
jhead is offline jhead  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you should stick with cardas RCA's and Binding Posts I also think Schuter make's the best stanard IEC power inlets 6100 series.I would mount the amp boards as far to the back of the cabinet and as close as possible to the input /output connections and also consider useing two transformers mounted close to the front panel.In this config. may be harder to get the conrols optimized on front panel.This would be the way as a starting point that I would configure the layout
Old 11th March 2004, 02:29 PM   #12
kerryvh is offline kerryvh  United States
diyAudio Member

Kevin,

Couple of questions for you. Do you intend to offer different grades of components for the kits? When do you anticipate being able to offer the kit to the public? Finally, what sort of supplemental building information will be sent with the kit. I'm not looking to have my hand held with instructions mainly just curious. Thanks in advance.

Kerry Vanhorn
Old 11th March 2004, 03:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Kerry,

It is really early to give any kind of details. I don't even have the drawing done for the chassis let alone a quote for pricing & delivery time. Our larger chassis was on the drawing board for 6 months and in production now (4-5 weeks). The rest of the parts should be simple to source. The only question would be whether to use an exhisting PCB or develop our own. I wouldn't have any problem making it accept the monting holes for the current PCBs that Brian is having made. No sense reinventing the wheel as I think that Peter & Brian have done good work on those boards.

There might be a few options but not many. In order to buy components in quantity you have to settle on a few choices. Over time the options might expand depending upon demand and which parts are worth upgrading. I'd have options for mounting the DACT attenuators & selector switch & various Cardas parts upgrades out of the gate. I'd use the economy Cardas parts for the basic model. I think we could aim for a complete 2 channel kit price that would fall in that $150-$185 range in the basic version.

The DACT parts could easily double that price so I think it makes sense to have less expensive choices for volume control & switching. I'm have a prototype remote volume control that uses the motorized Alps pots and that could be a nice solution for the integrated. The basic volume control could be a Alps which is more affordable. I'm looking at the Greyhill selectors as a less expensive alternative to the DACT units. Oveall there should be enough choices for people to aim for whatever price point their heart desires. We even have a remote available for the DACT attenuators which John at Bent Audio developed. These would push the price WAY up there... but that would be the builder's choice.
Old 11th March 2004, 06:48 PM   #14
kerryvh is offline kerryvh  United States
diyAudio Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the information. I've subscribed to this thread so I guess stay tuned for any updates.

Kerry Vanhorn
Old 25th April 2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Banned

IEC, RCA's, Speaker Taps, Lite-Up Power Switch (nothing fancy), Compact enclosure, and most important make it BLACK.

I am all about that,,!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!