Paralleling Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi every body

I want to use two identical transformers,each is 36 volt,5 Amp .

I will use bridge rectifier for each one,and smoothing caps for each one of equal capacitance,say 10000 uF .

The question,,,,,Can I parallel their outputs to achieve 36 Volt,10 Amp.

Kind Wishes

I believe this can be done safely, however, unless the transformers are completely identical, don't do it.

One thing to make absolutely sure of is phase relationship.
This means that the primary and secondary wires of each transformer must be connected with the right polarity. Essentially, the input wires will have to match in color, and the output wires as well. If the input wires are black and you can't tell which is which, a way to tell is to hook both transformers up to ac power with their secondaries disconnected. Connect one wire from each secondary to eachother, (if the secondaries have brown and orange wires, then connect two browns together.) Leave the orange wires out and test between them with a meter. If you see little or no voltage, that means that the two transformer primaries are in phase and you can connect the orange wires together too. If there is voltage across the orange wires, then you must reverse the wires to ONE of the transformer's primaries.

If the secondary wires are also the same color, you can do the same test and connect both secondary wires if there is no voltage between the transformers, if there is, then reverse either a secondary set of wires or a primary set of wires to get the polarity right.

If you have trouble understanding all this, perhaps someone could shed some light on it in a better way. If not, I'll draw you a diagram in order to make it easier to understand.

I hope that helps...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
similar question but...

Can I safely use two separate 24v DC transformers in following combination:
Each transformer has only single output. Each transformer gets it's own bridge rectifier. From one bridge I take + and from the other one -.
The 2 remaining bridge connections make ground. Then I put capacitors. Will I also get higher voltage (~ 1.4 DC)? Does it work at all ?

Thanks

gainclone in scsi housing with 4 x 24v toroids with 4 bridges

Attachments

• screenhunter_002.jpg
    screenhunter_002.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 284
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.