Adding 12v trigger relay for amp power on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll preface this with the fact that I only have a very basic knowledge of DC circuitry.

I have a QSC Model 1200 with a rocker switch on the front for power on. I'd like to supplement this physical switch with a 12V trigger based relay so that I can turn it on from my TASCAM PA-R100 (while also being able to still manually be able to turn it on via the switch).

I'm looking at this module here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIMSD86
(GEREE DC 12V Delay Relay Module Switch NE555 Timer 0-20s )

If I understand correctly, I can get the 12V+ DC from the receiver using a 3.5mm mono cable, but the only place I can think to get the ground from is the power supply inside the amplifier.

As I'm looking at the 3.5 mm mono cable, I see that it has two parts to the connector, is the other part ground? Maybe I'm just over thinking this. I just don't want to hook it up wrong and fry my stuff.

The remote ON/OF must be a two wire connection.
You could use an RCA/Phono cable with a unique colour coding as the connection. Or one pair inside a Cat5 cable.

I am aware of two methods of remote switch ON/OFF

a.) send a 12V signal from the remote to the Receiver. The Receiver uses that supply to trigger on a relay.
b.) the Receiver waits for a no volts switch to close at the Remote. The Receiver detects the change at the far end of the cable and triggers the relay On with it's own PSU.

floy43

If your QSC Model 1200 has one or more 12v trigger out's that a 1/8" mono plug fits into then that will provide both 12 volts and 0 volts.

How you use that to control your amp is another problem if the amp does not have a 12 volt trigger input.

I have an update, I went ahead and purchased the relay I had listed and as I had suspected it works just as I would like.

For now, I've hooked it up in-place of the original rocker switch which has blade-type connectors on the back. So I just took a couple of pieces of wire around the same gauge as original wiring and soldered on some blade connectors and plugged the wires onto those instead of the switch.

As for the 12V trigger, I got a mono 3.5mm cable, and I connected the positive of the input of the relay to the tip, and the negative of the input of the relay to the collar. This completes the circuit and provides power to the relay. After the configured time, the relay switches on and completes the circuit on the other side, emulating what the power switch would do. I noted that in-line with the power switch is a fuse/breaker which has various ratings on the label, but looks like it basically says 240V ~ 16A (I think this is AC), or 48V at 12A (I think this is DC). Since this switch wire goes directly onto the PCB, I suspect this is DC current, though I'm unsure of the voltage.

With this relay supposedly supporting 2000W maximum for the controlled equipment, I don't think it will support that.

I found this equation on the internet: amps = 2000W / (1 × 230V) = 8.696A

So this relay might burn up if it goes above 2000W.

Does anyone know of a similarly functioning relay that will support more wattage?

I looked around on amazon and found this one here:

XINY SLA-12VDC-SL-C 30A single-channel optocoupler isolation relay module supports high and low trigger
https://www.amazon.com/XINY-SLA-12VDC-SL-C-single-channel-optocoupler-isolation/dp/B01G4OA3CA/

This one appears to be more robust, supporting AC 250V / 30A, DC 30V / 30A.

Last edited:
If you need stable Relay, I recommend
Relay Module Low Level

Not for mains voltage, I hope! The board is designed to be mounted by the two holes on the low-voltage side. There are no mounting screws on the high-voltage side, so the board will act as a cantilever loaded by the wires going to the terminal block. At the same time, there's hardly any PCB material between the edge of the mounting holes and the edges of the board. This is a reliability disaster.

Also, unless your amp is fitted with a soft start, the relay will burn out pretty quickly.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.