Group Order: Saten Aluminum Knobs from India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be organizing a group order of the knobs from India. I will post more details later, as time is short right now. But if someone could start a Wiki, that would be great. I will post images and more info later, and if there isnt a Wiki, I will learn to make one.

For now, this is the link to a picture.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29199&highlight=

-Paul Hilgeman

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, I'd like to think I helped precipitate this!
As you no doubt have determined, it would be nice to have the dot to mark position. More important is that the bottom isn't recessed to hide the nut of the switch or pot if it is attached to the panel.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal, because those nuts are pretty thin. I'll look at it again.

I think it would be really cool to get nice knobs from India.
I guess we need some price and avvailaility info..

Mark

Hey Paul!

I've been talking to tcpip about the larger knobs, and it appears he is going to go ahead and order some based on his + my need. I'm also interested in the smaller knobs. Could we add the large knobs to the Wiki, and see if we could get any more interest?

I'm in for 10 of the small, and 5-10 of the large (depending on the final price.) If we ended up with a significant number of both, it would sure help to defray the shipping cost to bring them all over at once.

Let me know what you think!

Paul Pickard

Am ordering 20 big knobs tomorrow

Am intending to visit Mr.Valecha's workshop tomorrow and order 20 big knobs. I've decided to go in for 63mm instead of 50mm diameter. Height will be 30 or 35mm; not decided yet. And there will be a recess at the rear to hide the locknut of the potentiometer. The shape will be precisely cylindrical, without any taper or rounding of any edges. (The smaller knobs have a lovely, delicate taper.) And the colour and finish will be exactly the same as the small knob: "fine grain" finish, clear anodised.

For the position marker, I'll ask him to do something simple. I'll probably ask him to just use a 4mm drill bit and make an indentation at one point. This will create a circular depression, about twice the diameter of the depression he's marked on the smaller knobs. Should go very well with the smaller ones, and look like they belong to one set.

Unlike the smaller knobs, I don't know the price of the larger ones. Even Mr.Valecha does not. I'm hoping they'll be USD 5.00 or so each, but I'm mentally prepared for anything upto USD 8.00 each. And as you understand by now, the large knobs don't exist except in my mind. So please don't hope to see pics till a few weeks from now. :)

If you have any ideas/thoughts, please let me know ASAP. You have precisely 12 more hours before I leave home and hit the road. :)

Once I come back from Mr.Valecha's office, I'll post and tell you what specs we've frozen on. I think some of the finer details will be frozen based on his inputs about what works and what doesn't.

Alright, it looks like we finally have some interest.

We will be doing small and large knobs.

I would like to post an estimate on the final cost prior to my shipping them, but we are still working out the details of the shipment. So, expect some numbers in the next two days.

For know lets put a tentative closing date on this for next week friday, the 12th. After wich the money will be sent to India.

I would expect about a 3 week turn-around time, as the large knobs have not been built yet.

So we are looking about 6 weeks out to get these into everyone's hands.

From the looks of it, these knobs will be much nicer than the ones offered by Kilo Int. and should actually be cheaper as well, not to mention the fact that you can get large ones.

I would like to ask a question. What size do you think is good for the large knobs?

Have a good one,
Paul Hilgeman

Please note that the standard shaft dia. on most switches and pots available in N. America (and this goes for Elma as well) is 1/4".

I noticed 6mm hole size was mentioned previously, but this won't work with 1/4" shafts. To acomodate that, the hole has to be 6.5mm.

I've been ordering some knobs from China and had to enlarge the original holes (as they were specified 6mm). If you don't have the right reamer available, it's almost impossible to do it properly.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, getting the holes wrong is a good way to end up with a bunch of worthless knobs! What a perfect way for Murpheys Law to ruin such a well-intentioned effort. Thanks Peter!

I have some 2" diameter (50mm) knobs, and they are BIG - Like used on tuners. 1.5 to 1.75 would still qualify as big in my book.
I guess we don't need to worry about it until we find out Uncle Valechas capacities and our capacities to pay!!!

These bigger knobs are just the thing for stepped attenuators.

With 1/4" holes!

Nice to know you're in on this, old friend.

I don't know if Paul saw my link in the gainclone thread to your discussion or not. I have been following the Indian threads, and it is really exciting how you guys are discovering supplies in little shops all over which will allow you to create your own Indian equipment. The global economy now pretty much make those of us in the US have access to almost any parts, but we all end up with pretty similar stuff sometimes. The Indian stuff might turn out to be "special" in a good way!!! These knobs are an example.

Maybe you need some gainclone kits- they now have extra mounting holes. -and the price is right!!!-even with your customs guys!
MArk

PHilgeman said:
So that would be 36-42mm.

I would have to agree with this assessment. I would imagine that many people (including myself) will be putting gainclines into chassis that are 2.75" high in the next few months. I think a 1.5" knob on a 2.75" high chassis would look the best.

Hi, Paul and Mark,

I'm personally aiming for large knobs, and this means between 50mm (2") and 63mm (2.5"). My reasoning is that a 2U chassis is 3.5" high (usually 88mm front panel height) and this gives me sufficient space above and below the knob even with a 63mm thing... I get half an inch on either side, to be precise. However, if there's sufficient interest among all of you for a knob of, say, 38mm, then I'll get a custom batch made and ship it to you, specifically for my North American friends, with 6.5mm shaft dia.

And 38mm (1.5") knobs are available off the shelf here for less than a dollar each. I can send you samples. Unfortunately, their shaft diameters are all 6mm. The pots and rotary switches available here are all either 1/8" (3.18mm), or 4mm, or 6mm. Nothing more than 6mm here.

So, it appears that the smaller knobs are going to be unusable in North America, unless all of you organise a group buy for pots and rotary switches too. :D Since this is unlikely, give me a clear idea of quantity, and I'll get a set of small knobs made for you as a custom order. It'll be much more expensive than the ex-stock pieces lying with the manufacturer, but as Paul said, it may still turn out to be much cheaper than what you get in the US, not to speak of being much better looking.

Let's see how this plays out. :) I'm waiting for the close of the group-buy order period.

Tarun

Ok, here we go. I just had a conversation with Chandra in India.

We ironed out the hole diameter issue.

They will be re-made to acomodate a 6.5mm hole.

Hopefully in a few days we will have some final prices, and I will set up a webpage just like Brian did, where people can order via PayPal.

The small knob is as follows:

25mm at the bottom, tapering to 22 mm at the top
30mm tall.

It is double anodized and has a matte finnish.

It has a single small indentation to show the position.

It has a single set screw to lock it to the shaft.

The large knob will have the same finish, but will not have a taper. It will be 50mm in diameter.

It will have a slightly larger indentation to show the position.

It has a single set screw to lock it to the shaft.

As far as pricing goes, We will still have to wait a bit longer. Probably tuesday or wednesday at the latest next week.

I can give you some estimates though. This will be before shipping them out once they arrive.

Small should be less than or equal to $5.00 each.

Large should be less than or equal to $12.00 each.

Please keep posting if interested.

-Paul Hilgeman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.