Lowest noise levels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How are the noise (not distortion) levels of GC's compared to the best non-GC amps?

I've got a high-sensitivity system (104dB/1W) w/active xovers and, although it'd be nice to simplify my amp stack w/some GC's, the absolute lowest noise floor is my ultimate goal.

With the proviso that they must be built propely (which applies to all audio circuits) I would say that the noise floor will be no higher than, and probably lower than other types of amplifier.

I have 95 db sensitivity speakers in open baffles and can hear absolutely nothing even with my ear just inches from the cone.

As you say, the Gainclones and active speakers were just made for each other! ;)

Nuuk said:
With the proviso that they must be built propely (which applies to all audio circuits) I would say that the noise floor will be no higher than, and probably lower than other types of amplifier.

I have 95 db sensitivity speakers in open baffles and can hear absolutely nothing even with my ear just inches from the cone.

As you say, the Gainclones and active speakers were just made for each other! ;)

That's strange...

my gainclones gave audible hiss with my ear next to the tweeter.

my JLH simple class A is completely silent.

mike

P.S. Nick, thanks for your reply to me earlier as you can see I finally made it...:)

Regarding noise, I believe that is one area that discrete circuitry holds the edge. For example, Erno Borbely's Super Buffer operates about 260nV 20-30khz and the new ultra-low noise AD8671 will (I believe) operate at >300nV 20-30khz. Super Buffer uses 2sk170/2sj74 (0.95nV/hz sqrt) and the AD8671 (2.8nV/hz sqrt).

JF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.