Stereo volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could use a Maxim DS1802 Digital Pot. You can do a simple pushbutton (up / down) configuration that requires no special hardware.

Heres a link to their PDF about how to build one....quite easy looking.

Or you can use a single gang potentiometer to drive a digital pot. The circuit tracks the analog pot and sends a digital signal to the digital pot. Thus giving you the resolution and channel acuracy of a digital pot, with the feel of a analog pot. Heres the link

As far as using a resistor on a dual pot, I'm assuming you mean adding a resistor to one pot to offset the difference? The only problem I see with that is that at minimum and maximum positions, they will be off by whatever the resistor is. But who spends time at min or max anyways!?

Unless you mean in parallel or something?

Or just 2 pots which is a combo volume/balance?
I find that as i sit in various positions positions in the room i have to adjust to different levels (channel volume postions) to get a balanced sound, but i am using narrow beam (8") FR pipes.So the sweet spot is a bit smaller than multi ways.
ron

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Or you can use a single gang potentiometer to drive a digital pot. The circuit tracks the analog pot and sends a digital signal to the digital pot. Thus giving you the resolution and channel acuracy of a digital pot, with the feel of a analog pot. Heres the link

Also very useful to produce multi-gang pots to go on the output of Behringer 2496 active crossovers!

So can you use a digital pot with an active crossover circuit, that way you have very high resolution and consistant selections?

Using the pot as the resistor in the active crossover circuit? That would be cool, becuase then one knob could control an <infinite> amount of channels to all be at the same level.

Hybrid fourdoor said:
So can you use a digital pot with an active crossover circuit, that way you have very high resolution and consistant selections?

If you use a DSP-based active crossover (like the Behringer) and feed it after a conventional volume control in the pre-amp, then as you reduce the signal level, you're reducing the resolution of the signal in the DSP. If you feed the crossover at a high level of signal (below clipping of course!) and put the volume control on all six analogue outputs going to all the power amps, then the DSP is always working at full resolution. As 6-gang pots aren't around, the design idea on the article can easily be extended to slave any number of up/down digital pots from the one master rotary control.

(It almost worth laying out a pcb for it and selling a few! I'd use Maxim/Dallas digital pots rather than the ones shown, but that's no problem)

Caveat sync'ing

Ouroboros said:
(It almost worth laying out a pcb for it and selling a few! I'd use Maxim/Dallas digital pots rather than the ones shown, but that's no problem) [/B]
Yes, I too find the circuit very tempting. The only problem I feel we should watch out for is keeping the pots in sync. If you have three or six pot chips, and due to some reason (reasons are available in the Xicon app notes, related to power-on glitches), the chips fall out of sync with each other, then you'll have a very irritating problem. And there will be no easy way to get the pots back in sync. Therefore, you have to choose pot chips which ideally don't have NVRAM to remember the volume setting, but reset to a preset value (ideally zero volume) at start-up each time. Then this comparator-based circuit can bring all the pots up to the manually set level.

Just my ten-paise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.