Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit? - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2004, 07:51 AM   #661
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Re switch debate. Certainly in the UK, it is straightforward to get a mains socket or adaptor block with a switch. I use one of these on my DVD player, which otherwise only has standby. Naim audio gear has a power switch but it's round the back, so not meant for regular every day use. I never use 'em. The stuff sounds better if left on and power consumption when idle is minimal.

From an environmental point of view, it would be more beneficial to go round fitting low energy light bulbs than stressing electronic components by switching them on and off all the time (although if one is using class A mega-amplifiers, that might not apply).

IMO, even getting rid of the mains connector plug is a good idea and fitting a fixed cable, though this leaves less room for experimentation.

Colin
Old 15th June 2004, 01:56 PM   #662
diyAudio Member

Default Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by rabstg
Hi All-

If a switch is desired, then this one "should" fit in the same cut out. But you will need the add the fuse in the X-former location.

Steve @ Apex has them.

Troy

Troy, I like that one. How can I contact Apex?

-Erik.
Old 15th June 2004, 02:01 PM   #663
diyAudio Member

Default APEXJR.COM

It www.apexjr.com

A real fun site, enjoy

Cheers,
Bret Morrow
Old 15th June 2004, 02:54 PM   #664
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

You're right. Pretty cool stuff. I like the idea of building my own subwoofers, too!
Cheers,
-ERik
Old 17th June 2004, 06:25 PM   #665
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
I received my two chassis kits in the mail today, and they look great!

I will try to take some pictures tonight, if I can find time.

--
Brian
Old 17th June 2004, 08:16 PM   #666
bzo is offline bzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by rabstg
Hi All-

If a switch is desired, then this one "should" fit in the same cut out. But you will need the add the fuse in the X-former location.

Steve @ Apex has them.

Troy
Be aware though that this switch is single pole and only switches the hot wire. If you're OK with that, it's a great deal, but it's safer to use a double pole switch to switch both the hot and neutral.
Old 17th June 2004, 08:25 PM   #667

Default Re: Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by bzo

Be aware though that this switch is single pole and only switches the hot wire. If you're OK with that, it's a great deal, but it's safer to use a double pole switch to switch both the hot and neutral.
What is wrong with only switching the hot wire? I have seen a lot of schematics that only use a single pole switch. Will this cause complications?

--
Brian
Old 17th June 2004, 10:42 PM   #668
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
What is wrong with only switching the hot wire? I have seen a lot of schematics that only use a single pole switch.
House wiring is sometimes incorrect? That's my guess as to why the concern.
Old 18th June 2004, 04:27 AM   #669

The chassis kit came out really nice. I have one chassis almost fully assembled. The sides are currently taped on, and I didn't mount the bottom pieces under the boards. Here are some pictures:

Click the image to open in full size.
front of chassis

back of chassis

side of chassis with wood taken off

top removed

overhead view from front

parts from chassis 2, waiting to be assembled

Assembly is quite self-explanatory, but I will work with Peter to make a step-by-step gallery of the chassis assembly process. The only part of the chassis that you need to DIY is the holes in the wooden panels to mount to the chassis, and the holes in the brackets to mount under the boards.

Peter did a great packing job, and the chassis was shipped on the 10th from Canada, and I received it on the 16th.

The pictures don't even come close to doing the amplifier justice, as it looks very nice. The brushing is perfect, and there are no visible scratchs on the external surfaces.

--
Brian
Old 18th June 2004, 04:42 AM   #670
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
What is wrong with only switching the hot wire? I have seen a lot of schematics that only use a single pole switch?
It is good practise to use a double pole switch in all mains applications, as it ensures the item is safe, even if phase and neutral are reversed, (quite common in domestic wiring or in countries where plugs are reversable).
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th June 2004, 04:44 AM   #671

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: If you require a switch...

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

It is good practise to use a double pole switch in all mains applications, as it ensures the item is safe, even if phase and neutral are reversed, (quite common in domestic wiring or in countries where plugs are reversable).
If this is the case, wouldn't it also be a good practice to fuse both primary ac wires as well?

--
Brian
Old 18th June 2004, 04:56 AM   #672
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, but that has a much greater cost implication for manufacturers
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 18th June 2004, 01:06 PM   #673
diyAudio Member

Angry NUTZ!

AWWWWWWW CRAP!

You mean to tell me that the cool little AC inlet with the switch is now obsolete????

Mannnnnnn...

I just want you guys to know that I'm a little OCD, and now that I know the concerns raised about a single pole mains switch, I can never use one. That's just great...

...It was gonna fit perfectly in that cutout too.

*Grumble, sputter*

-Erik.
Old 18th June 2004, 01:21 PM   #674
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I wouldn't discard the idea of "cool little AC inlet" switch yet. There are always people who are paranoid about safety, and electrical power in general.

If you check the Aleph schematics, you will notice that they all use single fuse and one pole switch on mains, only
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th June 2004, 01:45 PM   #675
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
There are always people who are paranoid about safety, and electrical power in general.
You don't have to be paranoid to think that safety comes first... if you know what's dangerous.

If you live in 230 VAC country it's much more dangerous than 110 V. You should have great respect for safety issues. I have got 230 VAC through my heart. I know have that feels This is nothing I want to try again.
Old 18th June 2004, 01:47 PM   #676
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: NUTZ!

Quote:
Originally posted by e.lectronick
AWWWWWWW CRAP!

You mean to tell me that the cool little AC inlet with the switch is now obsolete????

Mannnnnnn...

I just want you guys to know that I'm a little OCD, and now that I know the concerns raised about a single pole mains switch, I can never use one. That's just great...

...It was gonna fit perfectly in that cutout too.

*Grumble, sputter*

-Erik.
hay if you dont mind paying shiping you can have one of these free. i have lots

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-655f.jpg (65.1 KB, 1236 views)
Old 18th June 2004, 01:56 PM   #677
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

You don't have to be paranoid to think that safety comes first... if you know what's dangerous.

If you live in 230 VAC country it's much more dangerous than 110 V. You should have great respect for safety issues. I have got 230 VAC through my heart. I know have that feels This is nothing I want to try again.
It is not that much about safety, as it's about common sense.
An amplifier is a device built to be connected to the mains. If you feel that one pole switch is not good enough, don't use a switch at all, and remove the power cord from a socket (to be completely safe) when disconnecting the amp.
That's the approach that I have chosen in my chassis design.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th June 2004, 02:07 PM   #678
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi All-

I don't want to start any thing because some people have WAY too much free time on their hands but.......

All of the light switches in my house are single pole, my table saw is single pole, my switch on the refrigerator for the internal light is single pole, my corded drills, jig saw and compound miter saw are single poled.

My 220 Volt AC electric stove has single pole switches for the burners. The power switch on my 220v dryer is single poled.

If installed correctly, single pole switches are COMPLETELY safe.

The ONLY time your fingers should be in the chassis with power present is when you’re troubleshooting. At which time you should be HIGHLY alert where you put your fingers any way!

Thanks,

Troy
Old 18th June 2004, 02:16 PM   #679
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Excellent Points

Troy,

Thanks, you've helped bring reality back to the discussion. All of these devices are potentially just as deadly as an amplifier, so if they're safe, then I'm ok with a single pole ac mains.

So, Apex Jr. will be hearing from me soon.

Just waiting for the next round of Specializedkits

-ERik
Old 23rd June 2004, 04:10 PM   #680
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to porfi4ever
Default Shipping Status

Hi Peter, I would liked to know if you ship something to Providence, RI if yes can you tell me when?Is because Am very desperate and need to know what close is to my house. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!