diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Chassis for a group order of non-inverted GC kit? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/28961-chassis-group-order-non-inverted-gc-kit.html)

Peter Daniel 25th February 2004 06:04 PM

Chassis for group order of non-inverted GC kit? Anyone interested?

Since Brian's proposition of a kit for a GC amp is an obvious success, I wonder if coming up with a simplified design for a chassis wouldn't be a worthwile addition?

I already talked with Brian and he suggested that the chassis should contain both PS and the volume control.

If enough interest is generated, I could arrange for complete chassis units, tailored to the preferrence of majority interested. Since the amount of kits ordered is pretty large, the chassis shouldn't be expensive and would be cheaper than anything currently offered on the net.

With an appropriate chassis solution and adddition of a switching VC (sourced from Taiwan), you could have a chance to own one of the better SS amps out there;)

Any interest or suggestions?

moe29 25th February 2004 06:30 PM

This would be a hard offer to turn down!

...would that be Mono volume controls? or a single stereo.

I like dual mono volume controls for some reason :)

would love to see what you had in mind Peter.

m. (giving the "Dark Side" a go... you only live once!) ;)

Peter Daniel 25th February 2004 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
At present I don't have any particular design im mind, but i would go indeed with integrated amp, were PS is inside. I'm building amps with mono volume controls, but I have to tell you that there is no appeal to them at all. A stereo control is much more convenient, and those attenuators from Taiwan might be just the right choice. Here's one interesting chassis to think about, courtesy of Bricolo Designs;)

If you like two knobs, maybe addition of a source selector would be better?

chris ma 25th February 2004 06:39 PM

Two controls may be better in the event of matching speaker output for bi-amping when needed.

Chris

vsr123 25th February 2004 06:46 PM

I am in

Count me in for at least 3 chassis!

vsr

vsr123 25th February 2004 06:48 PM

heatsink?

Peter
Were you just planning on using the chassis as the heatsink or building one out of a heatsink?

usekgb 25th February 2004 06:51 PM

This sound like a great idea!

Cheers,
Zach

Peter Daniel 25th February 2004 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The requirement for heat disippation isn't big, so chassis can be used for that purpose. Here's another design that I really like

Peter Daniel 25th February 2004 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Please note how the transformer is mounted. This reduces both the overall height, but what's more separates transformer from the chassis, as it sits directly on the supporting platform.

JCoffey 25th February 2004 07:09 PM

I'm interested. My main conserns are of course, price, and size. I'd like to see something as compact as possible, and as economical as practical, since the cost of the overall kits will be so reasonable. I like the design of the first one the best, but maybe not so complex with all the shielding and dual volumes.
I almost see a simple chassis frame of a 1\4" thick front and rear face,(I'd love a 1\2" thick front face) and sheet aluminum folded for the top and sides, and a piece for the bottom.