Audio Note Tantalum Resistor (1%) US$3 each. Worth using it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Hi,

I don't know where to buy Vishay or Caddock register but found one they claim to be the best registor for audio

Audio Note Tantalum Resistor (1%)

"When you want to best resistor for your audio equipment, look no further than Audio Note Precision Tantalum resistor! It will:
1) Outperform metal film and bulk metal foil in terms of detail and clarity
2) Outperform carbon composite in terms of warmth
3) Offer tight tolerance (Less than 1%)
4) Super low noise, low inductive construction
5) Suitable for Tube and Transistor Circuit "

As it cost ~ US$3 each (1/2W), I wonder if it worth investing it?
Any one ever use it?

http://www.audionote.co.uk/index_comp.htm

I can provide the following (negative) feedback on these AudioNote tantalum resistors (the standard 0.5W version, not the non-magnetic version, that is).

After I finished a very thorough rebuild of a Sony TA-N7B amp last month, which included all transistors and input stage dual FET, I wanted to try out the impact of replacing the main signal carrying/impacting resistors (input resistors, VAS to driver section, bias diode series resistor, and NFB loop resistors) by these AudioNote resistors.

I have had very good results by replacing the mentioned original resistors during previous N7B rebuilds while I was lucky to live nearby a local Shinkoh resistors seller in Tokyo, but I moved back to Europe last year, and Shinkoh resistors are almost faint outside Japan. (yes... I should have made big stocks....I can pull out my hairs now)

So, I gave these AN tantalum caps a change....

Well...... these resistors really have a SIGNIFICANT emphasis in the lower frequencies, really dominating the entire sound, so much that it is rapidly annoying and rapidly causing listening fatigue (driving a couple of APM-77 woofers....) I did try a dozen different bias current settings, as that is partly influencing the amp's lower-end oomph, but it was too little to compensate.

I started by returning the original resistors one by one, but only when the last AN resistor was out again, the annoying low end disappeared again.

I can't really say what the issue is: distortion, resonance, whatever, in that lower frequency range, but these AN resistors do really NOT work out in solid state (VFET) amps. They are NOT neutral and not linear performing despite AN advertises the opposite.

Perhaps they may have a good performance in tube amps, pushing things to a positive side, but I abandoned tube amps a decade ago.

Tonight purchasing Takman REY resistors for evaluation in this amp.

Last edited:
I did not meant that they "boost" the low; I know they are passive elements :)
But the low end really became present/dominating, it's really amazing that such basic component can do that to that extend. That's why I started to think (fantasize) about resonating (which is rationally also impossible, but hey....)

AudioNote's presentation says "These exotic resistors from Japan, sound less dry than the metal films and they do not emphasize any particular frequency range. They sound more natural, more musical."

Which now sounds to me like a car seller saying that the car has no issues with the breaks (meaning it has....). I have to say that besides the annoying lower end issue, they sound pretty good ! I miss them already with the original resistors back in now.

No, they don't publish any noise figures (which component manufacturer does in the elusive audio business?). But I keep them to perform a noise performance test later as the one published in Linear Audio Volume 1 by Ed Simon.

I can provide the following (negative) feedback on these AudioNote tantalum resistors (the standard 0.5W version, not the non-magnetic version, that is). Well...... these resistors really have a SIGNIFICANT emphasis in the lower frequencies, really dominating the entire sound, so much that it is rapidly annoying and rapidly causing listening fatigue (driving a couple of APM-77 woofers....)
I started by returning the original resistors one by one, but only when the last AN resistor was out again, the annoying low end disappeared again.
Are you actually saying that changing ONE resistor eliminated the "annoying low end"???

I did not meant that they "boost" the low; I know they are passive elements :)
But the low end really became present/dominating, it's really amazing that such basic component can do that to that extend. That's why I started to think (fantasize) about resonating (which is rationally also impossible, but hey....)
That's just the sound of Tantalum, to be expected.
It's all to do with the noise spectrum, and not so much the noise level.
You could try putting one of those resistors in a shunt to ground circuit position and see what you get.

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.