elac design flaw lm3886?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, interesting thread!

I picked up a pair of AM150 recently and one of the amplifiers is broken. Specifically the "woofer" amp. The tweeter still works fine. I figured out already that the woofer amp outputs a ~90 kHz clipped sine wave at ~+-20 V! The snubber resistors R212 is burnt - makes sense given the "high frequency" power it has to dissipate with this defect.

The discrete transistors seem to be fine and I suspect the TDA180 to be the issues here, as I can measure the oscillations at the output pin 8 of this IC.

Elac offered to send me a number then. They are made for them as you state. I can try to ask for a few if you like.

Sounds interesting. No idea what's inside this TDA180. Could be some sort of differential input stage? Do you have any information about this chip or if it's possible to get them from ELAC?

If not, I already though about replacing the woofer amp by a generic ~50 W amp module.

Cheers

Hi, regarding AM180, crackling sound often comes from certain components that are glued with cheap contact glue that corrodes on the circuit board copper paths and corrodes connections between both sides of the pcb on glued surfaces, all glue must be removed, use cooling spray when you remove the glue, it is less risk of damaging the pcb then. The next step is to repair the connections between the pcb on both sides. If you are lucky, the drive circuit IC is in operation, but you have to clean the pins from the bad glue, use a soldering station that can melt the solder in a short time and use a solder sucker from Japanese Engineer that minimizes damage to the pcb. Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.