Any chip amp to run on +/- 50V into 6 ohms? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2016, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any chip amp to run on +/- 50V into 6 ohms?

Any chip amp to run on +/- 50V into 6 ohms? I already have the power supply from a dead amp and can't afford to buy a lower voltage one and just need a quick and cheap amp to build.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:27 PM   #2
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

TDA7293 is a possibility

the supply needs good regulation not the exceed the chip's 120 Vmax no load spec

and 6 Ohm, +/-50 Vs is so close to the power limit curve that I would parallel 2 chips - don't know if the master/slave is better/worse than paralleling 2x complete amp circuits with output current sharing R
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:37 PM   #3
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Does it have to be a chip amp ? With such a supply, an irs2092 board will be quick and cheap. But it's class D.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A little mathematics would have told you how impractical this is.

There are chip drivers that require a discrete output buffer designed to work off this voltage.

Maybe this would be a solution for you. Yuan-Jing L12 TTA1943/TTC5200 Mono Power Amplifier Module 120 Watts I have a whole chassis, power supply, and heat sinks waiting for a couple of these boards. I can't build something like this that cheap. I can't vouch for quality or authenticity of the parts. I'm intrigued enough to roll the dice myself.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
TDA7293 is a possibility

the supply needs good regulation not the exceed the chip's 120 Vmax no load spec

and 6 Ohm, +/-50 Vs is so close to the power limit curve that I would parallel 2 chips - don't know if the master/slave is better/worse than paralleling 2x complete amp circuits with output current sharing R
That is cutting it very close.

Isn't there a chip designed for paralleling? The chips can be tied together at a certain pin, if I remember.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

There were STK hybrid modules that would run at that level, but they're long obsolete.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The reason it needs to be a chip amp is for speaker protection, I'm living on $100-$150 dollars a month income and probably will be for the rest of my life, and can't risk blowing $800 dollar speakers that I'll never be able to replace. I know that there are discrete designs that are more suitable, but then theres no protection...
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
TDA7293 is a possibility
Um, no.

There are some Sanyo STK chips that could do this easily. For example:
http://www.bucek.name/pdf/stk4191v.pdf

In fact, if you want for the cost of shipping to you from CA a populated board for this chip, drop me a line. I have several. You will need to unsolder a lower power but identical footprint IC and replace it with this one. You may also need to change out some caps for a 63V rated version. A little bit of work (which I have done myself) but its free if you have the time to do it. For info, see:
Using the HTA-2000 2-ch amp for DIY

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 2nd February 2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:19 PM   #9
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The TDA7293 is a monolithic MOS power amplifier
which can be operated at 100V supply voltage
(120V with no signal applied) while delivering output
currents up to ±6.5 A.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:25 PM   #10
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf-audio View Post
The reason it needs to be a chip amp is for speaker protection, I'm living on $100-$150 dollars a month income and probably will be for the rest of my life, and can't risk blowing $800 dollar speakers that I'll never be able to replace. I know that there are discrete designs that are more suitable, but then theres no protection...
It's not so.
If a chipamp blows, it will place 40/50V DC into your cherised speakers *destroying* them, period.
Exact same as a discrete amp.

What you need is a speaker DC protector, which may be included in the (discrete) amp board or added externally, search the Forum for examples.

In fact, you are trying to stretch the chipamps so much that you are *guaranteeing* failure , which will carry speaker destruction as a bonus.

Hide this!Advertise here!