Bridge and Parrallel Output Resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When bridging and paralleling four or more chips (OPA541 in this case), resistors are required to connect the outputs of the chips (see image).

I am building an amp using bridging and paralleling, and I hope it to produce 150W+ into 8ohms. On the circuit diagram I am following, 10W resistors are specified.

All of the output power from the chips goes through these resistors, so in theory, I need ~40W resistors, or I will have to limit my output power to 40W. :bigeyes:

Has anyone else thought along these lines, or am I being stupid, and I have nothing to worry about?

oops, forgot the image. :xeye:

Attachments

• resistors.gif
    resistors.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 178
Matttcattt said:
When bridging and paralleling four or more chips (OPA541 in this case), resistors are required to connect the outputs of the chips (see image).

I am building an amp using bridging and paralleling, and I hope it to produce 150W+ into 8ohms. On the circuit diagram I am following, 10W resistors are specified.

All of the output power from the chips goes through these resistors, so in theory, I need ~40W resistors, or I will have to limit my output power to 40W. :bigeyes:

Has anyone else thought along these lines, or am I being stupid, and I have nothing to worry about?

You'll get a rough idea as a percent of the load power. If your load is 8 ohms and you use 2x0.1ohm/leag res. than your power dissipation is 8/0.1=80 times less than the load, so for 100W/80=1.3W over a 0.1ohm resistor. I think 0.1ohm/2W res will do fine for 100W/8ohm load.

Re: Re: Bridge and Parrallel Output Resistors.

GregGC said:

You'll get a rough idea as a percent of the load power. If your load is 8 ohms and you use 2x0.1ohm/leag res. than your power dissipation is 8/0.1=80 times less than the load, so for 100W/80=1.3W over a 0.1ohm resistor. I think 0.1ohm/2W res will do fine for 100W/8ohm load.

ok

im just being stupid :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.