Diy autformer impedance match amp speaker to Chip Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if there is a simple diy solution for for impedance matchang a 4ohm speaker with an amp that performs optimaly at 16ohms?
IF tour amp can drive 4 ohms safely, just connect them straight and forget about any imagined "performs optimaly at 16ohms"
Even if (slightly) true, any "improvement" will be more than destroyed by any reasonable transformer you fit there.
If absolutely incompatible, then you *can* use an autoformer, but its design carries some compromises like any other transformer.
The ZERO Autoformer is a simple, single-winding, toroid-core, transformer. The ZERO has a reported frequency response of 2Hz to 2MHz
Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE , does not even qualify as B.S. :mad:

And I may question the sanity of anybody who goes to great lengths and accepts lots of compromises to build an OTL amp and then couples it to the speakers using ... a transformer ... :rolleyes:

Even worse if it's a power supply grade transformer primary, absolute madness.
And to boot wound on a toroid.

A 4:1 impedance ratio equals a 2:1 winding ratio. You can experiment with toroid mains transformers, use one with dual secondary windings and ignore the primary windings.
It will work, sort of.
Forget any pretense of HiFi if taking that route,mains designed transformers are designed for mains.
That said, that's what the Zero transformer is.

If this is a valve amplifier, changing the feedback values will probably do what you want.
Will it? :deer:
I wonder how many billions of dollars could be saved worldwide by making amps able to drive any impedance just by changing a $ 0.05 resistor.
Ok, make that 10 cents for Stereo.
Let alone multiple transformer winding taps.

Feedback resistor should be 1200 X square root of the speaker impedance.
Good to know :confused:
Wonder where did you pull that from :D

EDIT:
Actually this is for chip amp, thought it would be the same for a chipamp as for a tubeamp.
Nonsense.
Sorry, not meaning to be agressive or anything, but it's the only word which describes it accurately.

Last edited:
IF tour amp can drive 4 ohms safely, just connect them straight and forget about any imagined "performs optimaly at 16ohms"
Even if (slightly) true, any "improvement" will be more than destroyed by any reasonable transformer you fit there.
If absolutely incompatible, then you *can* use an autoformer, but its design carries some compromises like any other transformer.

Absolutely IMPOSSIBLE , does not even qualify as B.S. :mad:

And I may question the sanity of anybody who goes to great lengths and accepts lots of compromises to build an OTL amp and then couples it to the speakers using ... a transformer ... :rolleyes:

Even worse if it's a power supply grade transformer primary, absolute madness.
And to boot wound on a toroid.

It will work, sort of.
Forget any pretense of HiFi if taking that route,mains designed transformers are designed for mains.
That said, that's what the Zero transformer is.

Will it? :deer:
I wonder how many billions of dollars could be saved worldwide by making amps able to drive any impedance just by changing a $ 0.05 resistor.

Good to know :confused:
Wonder where did you pull that from :D

EDIT:

Nonsense.
Sorry, not meaning to be agressive or anything, but it's the only word which describes it accurately.

Thank you for the reply, think I'll hunt for one more pair of drivers to get to above 8 ohm load.

My amp is a pioneer vsx d912 ( fairly cheap av amp), just sold my other amps in favor to this one. I have other speakers that are flatish 8 ohm but would like to use a pair of pioneer ad5200 wich are 4,9 ohm. Now I hope I will score more ad5200s

I used to live in Buenos Aires and have family there, hope the "votacion/ballotage" makes things better for the people of Argentina.

Last edited:
So are we talking about an OTL or a chip amp (but in the valves/tubes forum)? I am confused.

In either case, the misinformation ratio is high in this thread.

It's a chip amp, should have posted in another forum section. Anyways I have dropped the idea to use a transformer of some sort to make my speakers match the preffered impedance load.
Thanks for all the replies.

Your amplifier is designed to run into 8 Ohms! If you had placed more of a description, ie; a solid state amplifier with model number, not under tubed, that would have saved the guess work.
The ratio is described for valve amplifiers DF96.

Yes, you are correct of course it's designed for 8 ohm load, but sounds is supposed to be better north of 8 ohms hence my quriosity and questions (though apperently wrong forum section and lack of info on my part).
Sorry for have wasted your time with my noob question(s).
Best regards
Pepe

Pepe said:
Sorry for have wasted your time with my noob question(s).
The question is fine (although in the wrong forum). It is the answers which fall short.

JonSnell Electronic said:
If this is a valve amplifier, changing the feedback values will probably do what you want.
Feedback resistor should be 1200 X square root of the speaker impedance.
JonSnell Electronic said:
The ratio is described for valve amplifiers DF96.
In order to specify a feedback resistance you need detailed knowledge of the circuit. In particular, what is the other resistance value and what closed-loop gain do you require? Otherwise you are simply telling us how long a piece of string should be, without knowing what the string is to be used for.

[image][/image]I wonder how many billions of dollars could be saved worldwide by making amps able to drive any impedance just by changing a $ 0.05 resistor.

EDIT:

Is this resistor change true for chip amps allso?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.