First amp build, any problem with other parts selected?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just placed order for an Audiosector premium dual mono kit. Here are other needed parts I selected and want to make sure I'm not choosing poorly.
I'm considering,but haven't chosen an input selector yet.
Any help choosing an input selector would be appreciated.
I intend to mount LED's on rectifiers and am thinking of positioning in a way so they can be used as a power on indicator thru front panel. Ideas?

Chosen due to Noble pot NLA I assume?
More Information Page

Chosen due to higher power option noted on DIY forum: x2
Avel Y236750 330VA 25V+25V Toroidal Transformer

761-18/003 Qualtek | Q300-ND | DigiKey

LN222RPX Panasonic Electronic Components | P612-ND | DigiKey

Sure Electronics Mini Gold Plated Insulated 5-Way Binding Post Set 2 Red 2 Black

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-chassis-mount-rca-jack-pair--091-1120

Last edited:
I have those exact transformer you reference above, paired to an Audiosector kit. It's way more transformer than you need. I assume you already know to not run 4 ohm speakers with 25 + 25, you can only run 8 ohm speakers.

This one is significantly less expensive, and I believe just as good: AS-3225 - 300VA 25V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

As above poster mentioned you only need 120 or 160 VA, especially since it will be a dual mono. I'm getting a 300VA 22 + 22 for my next project. Only reason for a 300va is because it will drive 3 amp boards, otherwise I would have gone for a 160 or 200, still more than enough for 1 channel.

One last thing, you mention wanting to put an indicator light on your front panel, cool. I'd suggest don't break the perforation between the power and amp board. It may be tempting to move the power board away, and easier to get that led near the front panel. To me the benefit of being able to use super short wires like in Peters instructions is the way to go. I separated mine, then moved them back next to each other later. No big deal to break the perforation, but if would look more tidy if I had never separated them.

Have fun.

Technically, 120 or 16VA0 transformer would be fine, but if you want achieve better sound, go with 300VA unit if your enclosure allows it, 220VA would be absolute minimum.

I didn't try neither Antek not Avel, but the latter seems like a better product.

The LM4780 chip in parallel configuration will work perfectly fine with 25V transformer and 4 ohm loads.

Higher voltage tends to sound better.

Higher voltage tends to sound better.
I'm all for that....and I got a little concerned when I checked specs of my BAMTM's I built and my Advent Heritages I converted to Dayton 8's a couple years ago and saw they were both in the 4 to 6 ohm range. I guess I'll have no issue running either of them with my build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.