LM3875 chip End Of Life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a notice from Digikey announcing the end of life for the LM3875 chip and I decided to check Mouser and sure enough they have it as end of life also so if you want one you better act fast. I have built both the 3875 and 3886 and to me the 3875 sounds better. Bad news for Gainclone builders. It is a very good sounding amp for not much money.

I guess TI are making cuts. I got a notice that the LM4562 op amp in 8pin DIP is cut as well. I guess the surface mount ver continues. Haven't checked if the LME version persists.

It was around this time two years ago ST Micro cut half their analog audio power ICs including the TDA2050, 2040, 2030A and a bunch of others.

Found this list as well:
LME49610TS/NOPB, LME49600TS/NOPB, LME49870MA/NOPB, LME49860MA/NOPB, LME49860NA/NOPB, LME49720MA/NOPB, LME49720NA/NOPB, LME49710MA/NOPB, LME49710NA/NOPB, LME49710MAX/NOPB

Oh, and the LM380 and the LM386 (through hole ver) are cut.

I guess if you want to play, you better learn surface mount techniques :(

Last edited:
I wonder if the impending recession is playing a part in the decisions to cut these products?

Probably not, discreet components are being fazed out at an alarming rate. SMD is the future of electronics. I bought some SMD J-fets just to see how small they were and maybe use them one day. About half the size of a grain of rice and you need to make 3 solder connections. :( I have to use a magnifying lamp to work on proto boards with discreet components.

Nice World view you have there .
Those who believe that there is an "impending recession" looming off stage, (for most All of the last 5 decades I've been aware of this phenomena)
have always been with us.
Best get a placard and parade on street corners :D.
Your ignorance, not mine. If you stepped out of your igloo and partook in any global trading you would be much better informed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.