How do I connect a 3.5mm cable to this input? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2015, 02:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How do I connect a 3.5mm cable to this input?

I ordered a Class D amp from ebay, and got it in the mail today. But I noticed something that I should have noticed earlier. The amp doesn't have a regular 3.5mm input. It has a 3-pin connector.

I'm assuming there must be some adapters that goes from 3-pin to aux. Even if there is an adapter, is there still a way that I could maybe splice a 3.5mm cable and somehow connect it to the amps input?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:53 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What are the 3 pins?
Right, Signal Ground/Return, Left?

It looks like a locking 0.1" pin pitch socket that needs a matching plug.

You need a plug with 3core attached. Otherwise you need all the components to make up a plug with connector blades and wire.

Alternatively,
cut away the plastic housing of the socket.
Solder your 3wire connection direct to the 3 pins.

Last edited by AndrewT; 13th October 2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 13th October 2015, 07:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
What are the 3 pins?
Right, Signal Ground/Return, Left?
Yes, the middle pin is ground. The other two pins is the left and right channel.
Old 13th October 2015, 08:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

tip = left channel
ring = right channel
sleeve = ground
You can splice a cable, but the wires inside may be too thin for good connection to the 3-pin terminal block. Larger wire and/or good strain relief are mandatory.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
tip = left channel
ring = right channel
sleeve = ground
You can splice a cable, but the wires inside may be too thin for good connection to the 3-pin terminal block. Larger wire and/or good strain relief are mandatory.
Even if i were to solder the wires directly to the tip of the pins? If so, how do you suggest I do? Buy a 3.5mm jack and wire it to a "custom" cable that is thicker?

I found this on ebay, any thoughts? What is that terminal block even called. It's thinner than a typical fan header that you would find in a pc.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by marvinorman; 13th October 2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 13th October 2015, 10:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sure, soldering the wires to the pins on the amp would be great.

I don't know a name for that connector than analog sound card connector.
Old 14th October 2015, 06:17 PM   #7
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

The best approach would be to get the part number for the mating connector from the vendor. Alternatively, you can go through Digikey/Mouser and see if you can find the appropriate connector. That's a real chore, by the way.

Personally, I'd just solder wires to the bottom of the board and bring them out to connectors.

Tom
Old 14th October 2015, 06:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
The best approach would be to get the part number for the mating connector from the vendor. Alternatively, you can go through Digikey/Mouser and see if you can find the appropriate connector. That's a real chore, by the way.

Personally, I'd just solder wires to the bottom of the board and bring them out to connectors.

Tom
I think that's a good approach too. But im a bit worried about the wires being able to touch eachother and interfere, depending on what angle the aux cable is leaning against. Considering that they would be so close to eachother. Is this something to worry about?
Old 14th October 2015, 07:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You don't want the wires able to short circuit with each other. Otherwise there is no worry.
That's why I mentioned good strain relief. For the open board shown in the first post, I would use a zip tie through a corner PCB mounting hole to hold the cable. That way there is no flexing at the wire connection.
Old 15th October 2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Scruff is offline Scruff  Australia
diyAudio Member

Bet if you desolder, you'll find 3xnice holes to solder into... That'll melt the thinsulation on the gossimer threads and give you a good join... Wire as per other posts...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Hide this!Advertise here!