ChipAmp LM3886 amplifier PCBs - to fuse or not to fuse?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hum !

I see coax on the input leads.
I see close coupled wire pair for the mains input to the transformer.

All the other wires appear to be single.
This will increase interference.

I recommend that you change ALL the wires from singles to twisted pairs.
You must identify the Flow and Return of every connection and couple them together.
If there's a problem with returning the loudspeaker, amplifier and PSU grounds all to the same point, could someone explain the issues with that?
If you implement this you will not be able to close couple the wire pairs.
I believe that twisted pairs are a far better way of wiring up electrical equipment than buss bar or star grounding with single wires and BIG LOOP AREAS.

Last edited:
Thanks AndrewT.
Gee, I've been a long time out of the industry and DIY.:eek:
I shall get those DC blocking measures in place.
Twisted pairs it is then. I figured this for the AC, but had no noise to begin with so rather stupidly, I left it as it was. Should have known better, my first build was twisted pair, I forgot that, it was 15 years ago...
I wondered about the loops, my layout did not work as planned due to heatsink issues and the resulting wiring ended up in an undesirable place.
Some of it got tidied up after the pics were taken, when I put the inductor/resistor arrangement on the spkr outs that AC mains to the transformer got twisted up to the terminal block.
Now it's not here I can't photograph it.
It's a rough build with tweaking and plenty of learning to do, but I must begin somewhere. I should have wired it with Cat5 or telephone cable.;)

Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for your help, Cheers.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.