which ceramic capacitor for PA03

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of building the PA03, the 4780 chipamp designed by Pavel Dudek.
While completing the BOM I discovered that my supplier delivered the needed 47pF/500V ceramic capacitor only in quantities of 200. And that is liitle too much. So I searched for a replacement cap. In my opinion the best available replacement would be a 47pF/50V cap but I'm not sure if this is smart choice regarding the much lower voltage. It is about caps C9 and C16 in the attached schematic. Thanks

Attachments

• pa03r0_schematic_pcb.pdf
    440.4 KB · Views: 101
Does Pavel recommend a ceramic?
Which type?
I would expect a polypropylene to be suitable there.
You could also use a polystyrene or a silvered mica.
100V is certainly playing safe, since the supply rails must be <42Vdc.
I suspect that 50V rating would be OK, provided the amplifier never oscillates.

How did you source C3 & C7?

The Mouser BOM for the PA03 mentions a 47pF/500V(100V) ceramic capacitor NP0.

AndrewT, as far as I know this is what Pavel recommends. No problem to buy C3 and C7 in a small quantity. But for C9 and C16 I would have to buy 200 pieces.

Then I hope that this one will do: Vishay/Cera-Mite 47pF/1kV C0G (NP0) ????
It is somewhat bigger in size but I think there is enough room on the pcb.

C0G/NP0 only in the signal path, other types have too high voltage coefficient for filters. No real advantage for ceramics over film types in audio circuits per se, but are generally superior for supply by passing.

Mike

Sent from a keyboard using my fingers.

A 28000 word paper on "Cap Sound".
one for the dark winter evenings!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.