Long-term NIGC battery PS impressions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Morse said:
Your listening experiences are similar to my own, comparing my 2A3 SET to my first GC (which is playing as I type). Then again, it's wonderful for short listening sessions, when I don't want to short cycle my valve filaments.Morse

Is your gc battery powered? If not you should try it.For me there is quite an important difference.It's perhaps like going from a push-pull to a SET without losing any dynamics but gaining in harmonic structure, depth and more organic feel.

Hi Protos;

No, my first GC is not battery powered, though I'd like to try it out some time. I've built solid state headphone amps that are, and I prefer it to AC mains power, even with massive filtration of RFI. Then again, there is a huge difference in sound quality over here to be had by filtering, so at least that's something.

Right now, $$ is super tight, and the cost of batteries and chargers goes over my limit (Particularly batteries and chargers for valve systems - I'd love to build a battery powered SET! I've got a dozen 6AQ5's that are screaming "build me an amp!" right now....). Usually I like to keep the cost of a PS trafo under $20, (though I did splurge recently on a $38 35VCT@4A EI core) - and I've not found a way to do that with gel cells and chargers, more's the pity.

Thanks for the observations! That's the sort of thing that motivates me to do better in my next designs.....maybe my next TDA2030A will use some chokes, salvaged from RF filters, in the PS along with the usual "X" caps and such, in an attempt to clean up the AC grunge.

Hi Fedde;

Interesting! With some disagreement in print on the value of 'super e' configuration, it's definitely going on the long list of "things to experiment with." It's going to be a while though...the list is long and time and $$ are short.

All the best!
Morse

I had planned to post mine in couple of days. I have the battery PS geenclone powering the woofers in my 4 way system - 300B powering the rest. I wanted to take a pic and post here before I tear down this setup to try a single amp.

It sounds very hifi, good dynamics, good imaging, extraordinarily clear - but somehow not as holistic as one amp alone. By itself, the battery PS gainclone imaged in a way that was very reminiscent of my former 211 SET amps but I had too much gain. I jerry rigged a carbon pot and this still sounds very good.

Something I haven’t seen any one mention here is the relative cost of the battery PS. It can be cheaper than a conventional supply depending where you get the parts. I got the 4 batteries (apparently Chinese) off ebay for less than $60 total, including shipping. The 12V float mode chargers are about $17 each at Walmart - need two. Slap 'em in a box a few pieces of wire and that's it.

Full retail price or a 7ah/12V battery can be well over $50 each for the name brands.

Mike

Hi mgreene, I am looking forward to seeing the set up for your battery power supply.

I picked up a pair of 12V/7AH Lead Acid types on the weekend for $5 NIB but all the posts I have seen regarding battery supplies mention NIMH or NICAD.

https://www.refurbups.com/battdesc.asp?BattID=57

Are Sealed Lead Acid batteries useable in the battery supplies for GainClones using the WalMart Float chargers?

Thanks for any info.

Tony D.

Okay, I have recievied the battery pack for my GainClone battery supply.

Now what?

T.D.

Attachments

• gainclonebattery2.jpg
    gainclonebattery2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 166
OK, since my firewall seems to keep me from logging jpegs here, look at this link:

http://batterytender.com/connecting.php/#10 :D

This is the Deltran (makers of the battery tender) website. There is more info than you would ever want on charging SLA's there. I used the example in the link with two of the Walmart 12V chargers - note that these chargers do have a float mode - so overcharging and leaks are not "supposed" to be a problem. :Ouch:

Ron Clark used relays and a timer to turn on his chargers but since they have the float mode, I just plug them into a seperate power strip and switch it off when I am ready to listen and switch it on when I feel like giving them a charge. So far, it seems like the batteries have taken a full charge in less than 20Mins no matter how long they have been off charge - as long as 7 days when I wasn't using the GC.

Mike - I'll try to post my pics from home over a modem:dead:

About the out-gassing, are there any health risks we should be aware of when using the battery supply? I would hate to suffer the consequences years down the road by not knowing what I'm getting into.

That said, the battery supply sounds like a great upgrade. I plan on using a battery supply in my bedroom. A bad idea considering the enclosed space?

Thanks,
KT

I don't remember the specifics off hand, but I had previously satisfied myself that this wasn't a problem. The batteries are sealed - there would only be a problem if they were overcharged. I think when some people mention this they getting mixed up with car batteries.

In my setup, I can charge the batteries and turn off the chargers when they switch to float.

Mike

I am planning to use one of those timers that are used to turn lamps etc. on and off.

The timer can be set to turn the AC on at say 2AM and then turn the power off again at 5AM so I will plug the WalMart charges into the timer and forget about it.

By the way, does anyone know roughly how many output RMS watts a battery powered Gain Clone will produce?

T.D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.