Some questions about a gainclone for my television and stereo setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2015, 02:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some questions about a gainclone for my television and stereo setup

Hello all, I have some questions and after almost a day of reading I did not find too many answers. hopefully they are easy to answer for the experts over here.

Since the sound of my LG smart tv is not that awesome I hooked up an old 2.1 set from philips. The improvement in sound quality was already dramatic and that inspired me to build speakers for it. (High Jack, alias FirstTime 14 - Oktober 2014 - Lautsprecherbau-Magazin 2014 | Lautsprecherbau) for those interrested, my budget is <75 euros per speaker, wood etc excluded.

now since I would also need and amplifier to power these speakers I was considering building a gainclone. I already found some sources for cheap transformers (25-40 euro) and I saw some nice looking kits on ebay and aliexpress. after looking those up on these forums I found out that quite some people complain about the grounding and lack of filtering (thiele) circuits. I looked at the often recommended chipamp.com boards but these also seem to lack the thiele filter. I would prefer ebay/aliexpress because ordering for 80 euro from chipamp.com would mean that I get loaded with import tax while a cheap ebay kit does not have the tax problems.

so the main questions:
-can anyone recommend a kit from the far east that works well (I will replace the chip anyway because those are probably fakes)
-how essential are all those extra filters?

side question:
My TV only offers optical out, while my decoder offers a nice anolog out. since I want to use netflix too I will need a (cheap) way to get the optical out to work with the gainclone. any ideas?

thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 07:02 PM   #2
jjrh88 is offline jjrh88  Canada
diyAudio Member

Personally I have used the XY boards LM3886 Amp Board+rectify filter+ LM3886TF KIT assembled-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (I bought from ebay, but those look exactly the same) with all stock components and no complaints from me or my friend who I built one for.

I have been meaning to build a more fancy lm3886 with all the expensive components and compare.

My friend and I both found that sticking a PGA2311 board (I used one of the kits from aliexpress) makes a big difference. It really seemed to bring the lm3886 to life.

Just keep in mind neither of us are really audiophiles, our sources are from computers/cellphones/mp3 players and in both cases we were replacing old 'retro' garage sale amps.

For the optical out you will need a DAC - kinda surprised your TV doesn't have a 3.5mm output along with the optical, maybe newer tv's lack it.
Old 12th August 2015, 10:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good news everyone!

It does have a headphones out, it is just a weird looking one. So no need for a DAC.

I ain't no audiophile either, but I do hear the difference between the built in speakers and a 30 euro set of pc speakers. A proper amp and speakers should sound even better but I don't want to spend a load of money on it.

Hide this!Advertise here!