This case big enough for Chipamp.com dual mono LM3886?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone:

I'm just about to test the second channel of my Chipamp.com dual mono LM3886 kit. If it works as nicely as the first channel I tested, then it's time for me to install everything into a case.

Being so new to this, I'm not sure the first case I like will fit all these components comfortably (with room possibly for a protective circuit or two).

I'm looking at this case:
Aluminum Power amp chassis amplifier case DIY Box 320*260*90mm L157-7

http://www.ebay.c/itm/191626342854?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My transformers are Plitron 077014201. These have a nominal diameter of approximately 110mm and a height of ~57mm.

Can anyone give me an idea if this case will comfortably fit these components, with possible room for a protective circuit or two later on?

Also, can anyone speak to the quality of that case? Fit and finish??

Thanks.

Draw the internal size on cardboard and place your parts on it. You can shuffle them around until you are happy with the arrangement. The power socket and connectors will take some space up too.

Make sure your transformer bolts can't touch the top panel and cause a shorted turn.

Note the dimensions you have quoted are the external sizes. Your internal sixes are 280mm x 246mm x 80mm which should be plenty I would have thought.

It certainly has more than enough heatsinking.

John

Build your amplifier on the workbench with all the components strung out in a long line.
Mains at one end and speaker output at the other end.

Get it working as an uncased prototype.
Find out all the mistakes in your wiring BEFORE you buy the chassis/case.

Then fold it up to fit some standard case sizes and decide what chassis you NEED to fit around your amplifier. THEN buy the chassis.

And you will need a temporary heatsink to test the uncased proto.

Hi,
I test before casing like this (wood board) :

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 226
The heatsinks will work better with them standing up. The fins and backplate vertical.
That will probably determine the internal height of the case.
You can bolt the top of the heatsink to the lid for better dissipation without making the internals quite so hot.

Bolting the sink to the floor increases the temp of Ta and all the other components follow that.

AndrewT:

Thanks. ER... was that for above poster or for me (OP)? I have no idea what you mean if it was intended for me. The case I linked to already has built-in heatsinks, the entire width of the case. Can you please clarify. Extreme newbie here.

The heatsinks will work better with them standing up. The fins and backplate vertical.
That will probably determine the internal height of the case.
You can bolt the top of the heatsink to the lid for better dissipation without making the internals quite so hot.

Bolting the sink to the floor increases the temp of Ta and all the other components follow that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.