NOOB with NOOB questions part duex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So,
I started my Hifi-DIY adventure with my initial post here in the "Full Range" section of the loudspeaker boards. I got a TON of great info from that initial post, So, So, So, thankful to you all.

One of the recurring themes of some of the responses I got there were related to a DIY amp verses buying one of the T-amp, or variations from Fleabay or Amazon.

Let me back up just a touch. What I am wanting to do is dip my toes in, albiet in the deepend, to the DIY HiFi world. I want to attempt two speaker builds, both based on 8ohm, full range drivers. (drivers currently undefined....suffice to say "budget level" is a generous description)

The FH-3's and an as yet un decided upon , pair of bookshel/stand mounted speakers. Rest assured that I will, im sure, be heading into crossover/woofer/mid/tweeter builds at a later date, but for now, I want to try to keep things KISS.

What I would like to do is build a very small system that produces fidelity that is as good or better than the Bose Soundock(s) I currently have. I initially planned to use a small T-amp to drive signal from my iPod to the speaker builds.

Now I am convinced that I want to also try my hand at an amp build also. I am thinking something like the Gainclone, but would be interested in hearing from the boards about how best to approach this. A kit sounds somewhat manageable , so if there are any suggetions for a chip based, integrated amp build kit, that requires not much soldering, that would be ideal..

I am trying to keep costs as low as possible for these first steps into the unknown, so "cheap" is NOT a dirty word. i want to get some practice before I go off throwing money at componants. if someone could offer advice on a simple build that would approximate the older T-amp and other mini amp offerings, that would be great....thanks!!!!

There are loads of gainclones on ebay.
You can buy them built and tested.
I believe some do kits to build yourself.

I am not a fan of the LM386 I found I had trouble with noise on the one I built.
I prefer a proper LTP, VAS, VBE multiplier and output stage amplifier.
If you use good decoupling on the front end you can get a noise/hum free amplifier.

I quite like the lateral mosfet modules. They are good with overloads as the zener across the SG limits the current through the mosfets.

if i wanted to dip my toe,
i would go for an sta540 chipamp.
has verry minimum part count and is a quite decent amp chip to have around.
then i would dig myself into powersupplys a bit, and build a decent regulated powersupply for the thing.
with a decent fullrange setup it should be a verry nice project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.