Suggestions for a 20 watt Chip Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have had real good luck with the TDA7240, but the supply on those seem to be drying up. (Still some available through Ebay, but I've read mixed reports about some of the sources) . Any suggestions for something that's a little more readily available? (Mouser, Digikey, etc.) 12 volt Dc would be preferable.

Thanks!

The best I can muster from any of the car stereo BTL ICs is 9 or 10 watts of pre clipping power at 4 ohms. Many are rated from 20-25 watts, but that is at a horrid 10% distortion and a supply of 14.4 volts. Some handle 2 ohm loads which is fine if you can setup a pair of speakers of that impedance.

If you can come up with a power supply that can convert the 12 volts to a +25 and -25 volt rails, you can use the hifi chips that will give you clean power well over 20 watts and better distortion specs.

There is of course the TDA1562Q which manages to 'defy' the confines of 14.4V operation by virtue of a couple of large-ish bootstrap capacitors.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA1562Q_ST_SD.pdf

The 70W figure has to be taken with a rather large grain of salt but it might well do better than the competition all the same.

Yes, I'm aware of that IC. What is not clear is if it can sustain that output other than for short durations as the charge pump circuit needs time to refresh the caps. How would it perform under a continuous sine wave test is what I'm wondering.

How would it perform under a continuous sine wave test is what I'm wondering.

Its fairly clear in my reading of the DS (mentioning of a Gaussian distribution for the signal, mentioning 'momentarily higher supply voltage') that it's not going to deliver anywhere near the claimed 70W. But the OP hasn't said he's playing sinewaves through this so its (to me) a reasonable assumption he wants it to amplify music.

Incidentally now that we're going above 12V, TDA8947 would be my recommendation - its a lot of amplification in a compact package rather like STA540 but goes higher in voltage - however its not so widely available.

Last edited:
Some music can be challenging, like compressed modern music and/or that bass music with long sustained notes. Neither I care for but the OP might. Certainly that chip can work, but I'd want my amps delivering full power with a continuous sine wave tone at any audio frequency.

With +25 / -25 volt rails the LM1875 will deliver 28.5 clean watts into an 8 ohm load with continuous sine wave. This is a current of 1.89 A with non inductive load. I found the IC to limit current at 3 amps rms with continuous signal, so there is headroom for dealing with reactive speaker loads. This plus the fact the the LM1875 has better distortion performance than those BTL chips will have is more than the OP asked for. Just need a good switch mode supply. Stay away from that $5 ebay junk.

12 volts is a terrible choice for powering a power amplifier. That's why you have received recommendations for so many car audio chips; they're the only game in town.

Several people have recommended the 1875. This is good advice. Check out the data sheets for an idea of power supply requirements; but 40-50 volt split supply will get you the power you need. You can even do single ended.

I thought you had a power supply to use. If you're like me, you have a whole box of various power supplies, most of them 12 volts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.