DC offset figures - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2004, 11:21 AM   #1
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DC offset figures

Hi everyone!!

Could someone please tell me what the max. level of DC offset from a source (in my instance a CD player) can be before the DC input cap is really necessary in the Gainclone?

Usign my multi-metre I put one probe inside the phono socket of my cd player, and the other touching the outside of the socket, with the player on, but no CD. measured about 0.54mv on both sockets. Is this acceptable, or should I use the 4.7uF input cap?

Thank you,

- John.

P.S. Nuuk i have read the section on DC offset on your site, but this is with a built Gainclone. I onyl want to build my gainclone once, so need to have the circuit/parts worked out before building. Cheers.
Old 4th February 2004, 11:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Seems ok, you'll probably get an additional 10-20mV at the output of the amp which is quite acceptable IMO.
Old 4th February 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
GregGC is offline GregGC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DC offset figures

Quote:
Originally posted by johnm
Hi everyone!!

Could someone please tell me what the max. level of DC offset from a source (in my instance a CD player) can be before the DC input cap is really necessary in the Gainclone?

Usign my multi-metre I put one probe inside the phono socket of my cd player, and the other touching the outside of the socket, with the player on, but no CD. measured about 0.54mv on both sockets. Is this acceptable, or should I use the 4.7uF input cap?

Thank you,

- John.
Did you measure it when the player was playing or when in stop mode? I think you should be fine using DC coupled GC.
Old 4th February 2004, 05:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Connect your source to the amp (with speakers disconnected and CD in PLAY) and then measure it on the amp. If it's less than 80mV (or so) it should be fine.
Old 5th February 2004, 10:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! So - if I've understood this correctly - in order to measure DC offset properly the CD player MUST be connected to an amp, and must also be playing a CD then? can I not just measure the DC directly from the phono sockets on the CD player?
Old 5th February 2004, 10:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

it is possilbe because the player has some DC out...if it's low then u don't need a DC blocking cap in front...however with an amp...the voltage will rise...due to gain and of course the opamp itself itself will have a little Offset...so you have to test for offset at the outputs as well to determine if your amp is working properly...but you wun need the DC blocking capacitor (usually 4.7uF) in front as your CD player seems to have low offset...
Old 6th February 2004, 12:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.... I think I'll go without the input cap then. I'll just make damn sure to test it with an old pair of speakers first

I doubt - when all's said and done - that there can be a day and night difference between using either the cap, or the input resistor instead. when I've saved up more money I'll build a second one and try it with the input cap and compare the sound. So I gues it comes down to what sounds best - a 220r 2w carbon film resistor, or a 4.7uF Black Gate non-polar cap...
Old 6th February 2004, 01:01 PM   #8
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
dont forget that the amplifier will amplify the offset of your cd player

Hide this!Advertise here!