Final Year Project Problem: Immersive Entertainment - 2.1/2.0 Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Basic intro: My final Year project next year is a sum of an Audio Element (2.1 & FFT spectrum analyser) an Visual (Basically an Ambilight) to create an immersive watching experience.

To keep my project simple and as contained as possible I'm using a PSU from a PC (Wattage to be decided...), the 5V rail will be driving the LEDs (Which will be amps and amps of current). This leaves me with the +12V and possibly a -12V rail to work with for the audio element.

For the 2.1 audio element, I was considering a LM3872/LM3871 (or any of the LM3XXX chip amps) as an "all in one solution" however these require far too much power by the looks of it.
So, The next favourite thing seems to be a TDAXXX chip, more specifically a TDA2030a.

The audio is taken from the HDMI cable into a L & R element so it can be used outside of the digital system

Will I still be able to get a good sound from this set up (in theory?) in say a living room?. The whole point of the project is to make the TV watching/Film/Audio experience much better, with a better sound from the amplifier than you would with normal TV speakers or Laptop speakers and I don't want to flop at the fist hurdle!

Any general tips on using these chips that you guys have found?

Any help would be appreciated!! :dunno:

Thanks Guys!
Will x

1) look into "bridge tied load" audio amplifiers.

2) consider the demo room and speakers 1st, the larger speakers they are, the more they easily couple sound energy into the room that much more efficiently. edit > you want ppl to be impressed even if somehow the other aspects fail.
it were me I would just beg, borrow, or buy some car audio components, so you can spend time on the "meat of the project" and not recreating the wheel so to speak.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying!

1) I just have! Is the basic principle you have twice the voltage swing and because P=V^2/R you get x4 the power!
Here's the datasheet
Page 10 - Figure 5 for L&R Bridge Tied = For 2.0 audio and use full range speakers
Page 11 - Figure 6 individual L&R and 1 tied bridge output = for 2.1 with the bridged input being a subwoofer.
Which do you think would be better for my setup?

2) I have two Artiston MX05 speakers that i'm using for the moment, a possible sub if i choose the 2.1 arrangement
The room is whatever i decide really, so i'm going to say a living room setup:)
sadly i have to make the system from scratch and can't just get a 3rd part subsystem :/ the thought did cross my mind though!

I'd go with 2xBTL arrangement and build another one as needed for the sub. why> I think youll need the 26 dB gain > the SE 20dB gain is cutting it too close.
have two Artiston MX05 speakers
nothing comes up on a search, I'll assume bog standard 5 1/4" woofer with 85dB/W probably closer to 8 ohms than 4 ? so not that good given an ATX supply.

The audio is taken from the HDMI cable into a L & R element so it can be used outside of the digital system
the bigger Q in my mind how are you gonna get from digital to analog audio from the HDMI?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.