tda1554 amp attempt... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default tda1554 amp attempt...

Hello ive bought a tda1554 to try in my car as a replacement amp.

Some issues-
1) the pdf file doesnt mention heatsinking requirements.
so im going to just try any heatsink i can see in the store that looks substantial

2)Im going to try the suggested schematic(very simple!)
which comprises of about 5 things.
-Question- will a 10k log pot do on the output?-as i dont see provision for volume,am presuming this will work fine.

Ive never used a chipamp but just need some basics

I presume that the 'substrate' ground means the back part of the chip,that i will heatsinking ,meaning the heatsink will be at ground potential,so i should be careful with my +12v....

its very simple questions really,but i simply dont know for sure and dont want to fry my ~9$ US chip
Cheers!
semiconductor data
Attached Images
File Type: png tda.png (8.9 KB, 686 views)
Old 3rd February 2004, 01:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Also i notice this design has slightly different component values etc... its from popular mechanics,i guess il copy that one.

link
Old 17th March 2004, 04:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I also have a TDA1554, but I use it as a power amp at home. For the heatsink, I use an aluminum one 9cm wide, 6cm tall, and with 12 ribs projecting 1.2cm out the back. Overall, the aluminum is 3mm thick. You might want to use a larger one than that, since mine heats up very quickly. There are better amps out there. Mine sounds a bit washed out, but maybe it's just my room.
Old 19th August 2004, 10:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Parts

Hi guys

Where would one order a TDA1554, I'm trying to get my hands on one for my car. They run on a single supply, so I figure tyhis would be the simplest solution for 4 chan. audio.

if you have a surplus one to sell, let me know.

thank much,
Old 21st August 2004, 02:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

try
http://reichelt.de

2,20Eu only.

Carsten
Old 21st August 2004, 03:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

use a 50-100k pot on the input if u want a vol. control...
Old 29th August 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

awwww nutz i made one of these amps a while back but it stopped workin all of a sudden, i suspect i blew the chip by plugging the power in the wrong way ... anyway i need another chip but i dont understand german so i cant use that site is there an english one anyone knows about. Tnx
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:48 PM   #8
kano is offline kano  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Question how do i check the chip if i already fryed it?

3 days ago i built the ampl using tda 1554 it made a loud and audible sound for a while but obviously it was putting out only half of the output signal. then it went silent and no matter what modifications i do the bird just won't sing anymore. How do i check if i already fryed my chip? it still gets hot and a small sound can be heard is it dead already? I'm new in electronics learned it only through the internet i would really appreciate it guys if someone could spare some time to help me thanks.
Old 7th June 2008, 07:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Was it attached to a heatsink when you powered it? As the chip heats up as soon as it is powered. If not, this could have dammaged it. If you have a schematic, so we could see a clear indication of any problems, this would help .
Old 16th October 2009, 07:50 PM   #10
chingyg is offline chingyg  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I am just wondering about the heat sinking of this chip, I have am planing on building one tomorrow but have not test it on full power yet (neighbors in the apartment block hate me enough already). I am currently using an CPU heat sink with its fan attached but I only super glued the chip onto the aluminum under some pressure, Is that fine?

Because the 2 screw's spacing I am having trouble with a normal heat sink.

It would only go on to an old ATX PSU's heat sink, is that enough thermal mass to keep the amp cool on max power?

Hide this!Advertise here!