Make things clear about PSU - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2004, 02:30 AM   #1
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Make things clear about PSU

Hi there, a few questions here...

Tell me if I am right or wrong so far...

Primaries and secondaries are just two diferent output values of the transfo, right? Can both be used to acomodate diferent circuit at the same time?

If I want to run say a couple of leds together with my LM3875, I wire my amp in parallel with my leds and I lower the voltage with diodes and series resists, right?

Ok now some more technical, could you explain or refer me somewhere I could read about the way a diode works ?

Oh yeah almost forgot the rails, rails are only the designed output to work with?

Thats all...for the moment :P
Goss
Old 3rd February 2004, 03:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

primary attaches to the AC from the power company, secondary to the user circuitry.

rails are supposed to be the maximum voltages in the system.

diodes have an exponential V - I curve, often approximated as a straight line. -- at 10mA the diode may drop 0.7V. at 100mA 0.71V at 1A 0.73V, at 1000A 0.8V, ect... so pretty much if your using led's you assume a voltage drop of whatever (find out how much voltage drop there is by using a series resistor and finding a current). for some diodes it is 0.7V, for schockty diodes it is usually 0.3V. this also varies with temperature. in anycase you estimate a voltage drop across the diodes, then use a resistor to limit current where (Vsource - Vdiodes)/Idiodes = R.

hook a diode up backwards and it will not conduct, well, they will if you put a lot of voltage across it.

never attach a diode across a source without some method of current limiting, it will drop about 1V and otherwise act as a short.
Old 3rd February 2004, 04:47 AM   #3
GregGC is offline GregGC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Make things clear about PSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Guss
Hi there, a few questions here...

Tell me if I am right or wrong so far...

Primaries and secondaries are just two diferent output values of the transfo, right? Can both be used to acomodate diferent circuit at the same time?

If I want to run say a couple of leds together with my LM3875, I wire my amp in parallel with my leds and I lower the voltage with diodes and series resists, right?

Ok now some more technical, could you explain or refer me somewhere I could read about the way a diode works ?

Oh yeah almost forgot the rails, rails are only the designed output to work with?

Thats all...for the moment :P
Goss
Try this link.
http://www.epanorama.net/links/basics.html
Old 3rd February 2004, 06:18 AM   #4
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Guss,

Maybe you'll find this pdf file interesting:
http://www.sylvest.dyndns.dk/Notes_o...oad%20file.pdf

Best Regards,
Jennice
Old 3rd February 2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, thanks for the replies, got a lot more reading ahead if I want to make this gainclone I dream of :P

Hide this!Advertise here!