Speakers for Chip amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK I am a beginner at the bottom of what looks like a steep learning curve and I need steering in the right direction.

I cant recall how this all started but I ended up building a “Non-Inverting LM3886 Stereo” chipamp which has since been put into daily service playing dab radio and music stored on an ipod. My musical tastes are rock biased but I appreciate all sorts of stuff.

I am really pleased with the amp but less so with the floorstanders I am using.
I don’t think I am in the same listening league as a lot of folk on this forum but I like things to sound good and I am fairly certain my speakers let things down.

I read that chipamps do well with full range speakers so I looked at frugalhorns pensils and fonkens and then I read full range aint so good with rock and that I will probably find them lacking bass.

Then I read about F.A.S.T. and decided I like the Tysen – it looks more complicated than the frugalhorns but I thought if it gives me what I am after so be it. Then I read they were bi amped…… then I thought do I need to build another amp …...Then I thought I should have built a different amp…..Then I thought should I build a multi way speaker…... Then I looked at transmission line designs…. Then my head started to hurt …..And now…… Well I just don’t know any more.

I am going to stick with the amp and I like the size and shape of those slopey Tysens but I just don’t know if they will be suitable or even possible with my amp.

What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Sreten: I was afraid someone was going to as that. The speakers are long abused eltax symphony 6. My other half exploded the caps in them one drunken evening so they were replaced with something the same value but considerably bigger in size. I also replaced the tweeters with some by Morel but for the life of me I can't remember what model they were.

Hi John: the room is 6m x 5m with a vaulted ceiling 3.1 m high. I am stuck with position. if you stand facing the 6m wall one speaker is in the corner on your right. to the left of the speaker there is a sideboard on which the amp stands. to the left side of the sideboard stands the other speaker they are approx 2m apart. I checked out your link those bibs are big she who must be obeyed will never agree to those :)

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

Hi Sreten: I was afraid someone was going to as that. The speakers are long abused eltax symphony 6. My other half exploded the caps in them one drunken evening so they were replaced with something the same value but considerably bigger in size. I also replaced the tweeters with some by Morel but for the life of me I can't remember what model they were.

Hi John: the room is 6m x 5m with a vaulted ceiling 3.1 m high. I am stuck with position. if you stand facing the 6m wall one speaker is in the corner on your right. to the left of the speaker there is a sideboard on which the amp stands. to the left side of the sideboard stands the other speaker they are approx 2m apart. I checked out your link those bibs are big she who must be obeyed will never agree to those :)

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

6x5 room with 3+ meter hight?
bad luck there.
for that i would propose some big floorstanders.
most probably would go with something 3 way that has 10 inch woofer...
alternative would be a pair of smaller speaker (2 way, 6.5" woofer max. and minimum 4") and least 1 subwoofer with 10-12 inch driver.

if You don't feel that funky, you might re-invent the wheel and make a pair of decent 3 way speakers. probably it would be way out of question for sheer size. isobaric setup comes to my mind, at the expense of more drivers you can cut them down in br. space to about 2/3 of the original-
but that is about it. no way out.
for a medium size room like that to have reasonable level of bass, you need something that can move enough air. raw power is not that important, i bet you can get away with anything remotely close to 2x20 watts RMS.

I don't want disco noise in my house, not even for a party.
I don't hold "drunken parties".

The audio should sound realistic. That defines the relative levels of bass and mid and treble.

Big speakers are usually more efficient.
Small speakers are usually less efficient.

A low power amplifier will generate higher SPL from an efficient (big) speaker than it can from an inefficient (small) speaker.

Big speakers do not need big power. They only need big power if you need big SPL as in entertaining a paying audience.

Ah ah those days have passed, eh ?
Me too I stepped down gradually in speaker's diameter, passing from 10" in the good 'ol days to the actual 4". Powered from a 30 W 'ol sansui au5500.

BTW when looking at the various makers of speakers such Troels and :rolleyes: Carmody and many more..I see the list, it lacks from italian makers, so I'll include this pagina 2

Though they're mostly floorstanders, which I don't like :mad:

so you get a funken frankenstein sized box with a whimpy 4" driver, it may go down to 30 ish hz, but you might as well go with headphones . spl will be in the fleafart category.

why not just use a proper driver, with the proper SD, you end up with a smaller box, and you get sufficient SPL. with a low excursion.
4"ers to 30 ish hz is a lunatic idea.
surely even an 1" dome tweeter can do it, the only question is how loud it will be.

i do not say one needs 120 dBL at LF in a living room, but i do say there is a a minimum level it should be able to do. For me that be 90 dBL at listening position.

It's not a question of whether anyone wants to do that.

It was about the error in the statement.

Getting low SPL at low frequency became a "fad" in the 80s that was adopted by many Manufacturers. It seemed to them that throwing cheap power at small boxes was a good way for the Speaker Manufacturers to make a profit.

Maybe they should have looked at ways to make better music, than to look after their profits.

back on topic a bit.
4" ers are out of question if there is no dedicated LF stuff to help it.
better get a decent 2 or 3 way floorstander.
we are not shooting for high SPL.
just enough SPL and sufficient LF extension.

maybe one can make a frankensiten 4" er with lunatic excursion and powerhandling to do the job, but the quality of that thing would be none exsisting.
a decent 10" er will get away with a 60 ish liter vented box and will be verry happy on a chipamp and will get you sufficient LF extension, and will have enough SPL available to please the audience in a larger room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.