TDA2003 Alternate design assistance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking for some alternate design for TDA 2003 mono amplifier what was prescribed in the official datasheet, on which nearly all designs are made. I met success only with the below schematic with minimalism as its hallmark via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzopX_YU6Zo
If anyone has something to share in similar flavour, are most welcome.
Options keep the world running with many hues, you may agree!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 334
A little bit more novel way to go. . .

TDA2003 (currently TDA2009) is the only singleton input chip amp that I know of.
This is probably ideal for a "tubefaker" project, like an economy tube-sound amp that has no tubes at all. It could be used along with Lenard Audio's variable current drive scheme and come off sounding very much like a tube amp.

This idea could be used along with a well-sounding 3" full range, like one of the Tang Band. On that adjustable circuit, actually most full range would work just fine; however, a little one would be easiest.

To expand the power, a subwoofer and/or bi-amp project could be used, and then roll off the TDA2003/TDA2009 project to do just midrange and higher frequencies (which don't require as much power).

Result, a big dose of old fashioned full range sound, with an outright miniscule price tag.

P.S.
Well, that was a sort of "bigger" example. For the next post, I'll try for a "smaller" example. Stay tuned. :D

With a module like this:
DC 12V Digital LED Bluetooth MP3 Decoder Board FM Radio USB SD Aux Remote Wire | eBay
ebay # 181499290056

And your TDA2003, you can have an awesome remote control table radio. Benefits include bluetooth for your phone, handmade speaker, handmade amplifier and a build that isn't overwhelming.

If you have only one TDA2003 chip to one speaker. . . see that resistor at input? Well, just use two of them so as to form a "Y" so you can input both left and right into the one amp.

Another useful accessory would be a 5v~6v relay so that you can 1) find out what the remote shuts off (lamp, indicator, screen, etc), 2) tap the relay onto that, and 3) use the relay to turn off the TDA2003 by remote.

Tip: There's many of these modules; however, just be sure to get one rated 12V so that it has a voltage regulator chip on-board. They'll take up to 15v and so will the amp.
Avoid the 5v radio/mp3 module--they just omitted the regulator on those.

Tip2: This and the amp can both be powered by a laptop cord. 15V 6A 90W AC Adapter for Toshiba Qosmio E15 F15 AA23 PA2521E 2AC3 Power Cord | eBay Those are not expensive.

Well, the chip is not obsolete FYI, its still in production after all the thirty plus years! There are a whole lot of dedicated DIYers for this chip alone..you posted "two" many's in your caustic comment..I listed one design before..below is another guy with his marvel and I believe this is the simplest and I found it works well...does anyone have something worth to reply?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1c9i1lyeE

ST is the manufacturer. Here's their online catalog of current production Class AB chip amplifiers:
Class-AB Audio Power Amplifiers - STMicroelectronics <--link
Notice the TDA2003 is missing. It was replaced by TDA2009, which has two REAL TDA2003 cores inside.

Other availability of TDA2003 is either new old stock (rare), or counterfeit chips. With widely available new production parts, you can buy the exact same clone amp chip disguised to look like TDA2003, TDA2030, TDA2040, TDA2050, LM675, LM1875 and many other part numbers (but the same generic core inside). The part's max voltage tolerance doesn't cover that entire range and quality varies considerably; however, it can work nicely at TDA2003's voltage range, and is more efficient. Unfortunately, new production "functional clones" (not made by ST) don't match ST TDA2003's datasheet and the clone doesn't have a datasheet of its own.

However, just in case you do have the real thing, here's a design for it:
Notice there's no output cap.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It can use either TDA2003 or TDA2009. Heatsink well.

ST is the manufacturer. Here's their online catalog of current production Class AB chip amplifiers:
Class-AB Audio Power Amplifiers - STMicroelectronics <--link
Notice the TDA2003 is missing. It was replaced by TDA2009, which has two REAL TDA2003 cores inside.

Other availability of TDA2003 is either new old stock (rare), or counterfeit chips. With widely available new production parts, you can buy the exact same clone amp chip disguised to look like TDA2003, TDA2030, TDA2040, TDA2050, LM675, LM1875 and many other part numbers (but the same generic core inside). The part's max voltage tolerance doesn't cover that entire range and quality varies considerably; however, it can work nicely at TDA2003's voltage range, and is more efficient. Unfortunately, new production "functional clones" (not made by ST) don't match ST TDA2003's datasheet and the clone doesn't have a datasheet of its own.

However, just in case you do have the real thing, here's a design for it:
Notice there's no output cap.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It can use either TDA2003 or TDA2009. Heatsink well.
Many thanks! This is what my post was intended for! Looking for alternative with least components, while getting the desired output. This chip is a continuation of TDA2002 that was made by the great designer Bruno Murari back in mid '70s. As everything Italian design promises, durable and usable beyond expectations, TDA2003 lives in the heart of DIY amp'ers. Most of them starts with this chip alone, (like me years ago with the prescribed design in datasheet) and never look elsewhere within the below 20w o/p power range. That makes every sense. The chip is made to work with least of components like the two guys I have mentioned, had discovered. This chip is found with both original ST Micro logo and as duplicates mentioning only the name, though they work fine.

Yeah, I'm aware of the official datasheet design. But my post was for finding unofficial, out-of-the box creations, while keeping simplicity in mind all the way.You can also try how good the above two findings, particularly the second one, I'm getting amazing response even with a normal 5v mobile charger with 4ohm driver, around 3-3.5w room filling at output, I can't wait to see what this yields with an old alnico 2ohm driver. IMO, there's hardly any substance in putting much effort and time after a class AB design, keeping that for the ultimate for DIY ampers, a class A, may be the one designed by Nelson the Saint! Another hallmark of simplicity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.