Logitech Z680 - Reviving an old system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Before I begin, please note that I'm a noob when it comes to electronics :)

I have a old Logitech Z680 speaker set lying with me with a amplifier that's broken.

The system is rated at 230 Volts, 1.5 Amp.

The power supply which rests inside the subwoofer enclosure separate from the amplifier mainboard is intact.

Now I was able to find a 110 Volt Amplifier unit (without the power supply).

Question is pretty straight forward - will it work ? My system is rated 230, the power supply (a separate block inside the sub enclosure) is rated at 230 Volts while the Amp specifies 110 Volts !

Do i need to have the 110 volt power supply ?

When I say power supply - i don't mean the wall supply of electricity - lets assume I have both 110-120 and 220-230 volt ranges available, I mean the power supply unit inside the equipment.

Any help in enlightening my limited knowledge would help.

I feel the main boards are not rated since they are DC.

Dunno

Without having the slightest idea of what I'm talking about, do you mean a Logitech Z-680 505 watt system, like this? https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&gws_rd=ssl#complete=0&q=Logitech+Z680

It seems hugely unlikely to me that 110/220 volts applies to anything except the wall receptacle that you plug the unit into. Certainly nothing to do with the speakers.

For consumer gear there's no 110/230/anything volt ratings to speakers. They just take what the amplifier sends, which in a home might be 1-10 volts or so, in an auditorium 70 volts or more, in a stadium who knows. Speakers are rated in ohms, nearly always 4 or 8 ohms for hi-fi purposes, 8 ohms predominates in the consumer market.

<< Question is pretty straight forward - will it work ? My system is rated 230, the power supply (a separate block inside the sub enclosure) is rated at 230 Volts while the Amp specifies 110 Volts ! >>

Your system, the Logitech system, is rated at 230 volts? That likely means it was sold in a country where that voltage is in the wall.

<< When I say power supply - i don't mean the wall supply of electricity - lets assume I have both 110-120 and 220-230 volt ranges available, I mean the power supply unit inside the equipment. >>

The Z680's power supply has a transformer inside that reduces the 110/220 voltage from the wall to the amplifier's operating voltage, which might be something around 30VDC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.