Interesting Find - Car Audio CHIPAMP??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this GEM on ebay and purchased not know what it really was. At first I had assumed it was simply your standard mosfet amplifier until I received it. I always look at the idea of recapping or modifying amplifiers (doesnt everyone?) and in doing so realized wow- this thing is a chip amp!

2x65w Sound familiar gainclone fans?

has 2x 3886 chipsets

Anyone have further information about this? Any updgrades recommended on this amplifier or power supply section? REcap or no?

Era is said to be 1996-1998?

Lots of spaces for added components said to be because there is a 4 channel version around?

Would like any/all information, comments, suggestions- Thanks!

Pics

Not sure why these didnt come through..

Attachments

• IMG_20150219_174414_738.jpg
    IMG_20150219_174414_738.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 281
Phase, it looks like pics loaded, can you tell me if you have the answer to question you asked. Unfortunately I dont know much or that much. I do have Wima Film caps MKp series and MKs series.

What would you recommend in what locations?

Correct me if I am wrong but this chipamp is bases off the gaincard and should be better than A/B amplifiers in relation to sound quality or am I mistaken?

Thank you

Last edited:
It looks to be fully dc coupled. It uses half of the tl074 as a variable gain stage driving the lm3886's. The other half is unused, intended for the second set of chips in the 4 channel version. The 10uF caps by the the opamp are are part of the variable feedback and the 220uF caps beside the 3886's are also dc blockers in the feedback.

I would try some smaller(.01uf)higher quality film and foil right on the existing caps for the opamp, and the 3886 power supply. I would go close to the 3886, but not right on the pins as you don't want to cook the thing. If you are not the experienced solderer, then maybe practice first.
The feedback caps would benefit from good caps, maybe, the ones in there could be great too, who knows, just have to try it and listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.