Which chip will be better than LM3886? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2015, 03:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which chip will be better than LM3886?

Hi,
I have tried the LM3886, I like it. I would like to build another amp, and would like some recommendation on which chip may be better - I am not keen on high wattage 20W should be fine but would like low distortion. It will be used for near field listening only.

Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 03:36 PM   #2
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinself View Post
Hi,
I have tried the LM3886, I like it. I would like to build another amp, and would like some recommendation on which chip may be better - I am not keen on high wattage 20W should be fine but would like low distortion. It will be used for near field listening only.

Thanks
I like LM1875 than LM3886. You should try it...
Old 28th January 2015, 03:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can you define better? There are certainly different implementations of the LM3886 which vary wildly in performance and are discussed on these pages. Perhaps try a more optimised 3886 build and see if you can tell the difference?
Old 28th January 2015, 03:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Can you define better? There are certainly different implementations of the LM3886 which vary wildly in performance and are discussed on these pages. Perhaps try a more optimised 3886 build and see if you can tell the difference?
I use schematic from the datasheets. High frequency more "clear" on LM1875.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

more clear? OK...
Old 28th January 2015, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The schematic only shows component connections, and that is only one part of what makes a successful build. The physical layout is also important and will have as much or more impact on performance as which components are selected for use. A poor circuit layout using premium parts won't perform as well, and won't sound as good as a proper layout using ordinary parts. Things like getting the power supply decoupling, circuit paths and grounding scheme right are critical for getting the best from these devices. As "they" say, the devil is in the details.

Mike
Old 28th January 2015, 04:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I purchased the assembled kit from ebay.
The PSU is interesting, I know a lot of audiophiles don't like this setup - here is what I did.

I connected 2 DC-DC boost converters to two 12V 5 A switching supply to get +/-30V. This I cleaned up using LM350 and a low pass filter. The sound is pretty good. Silent, no hum, no hiss.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bean View Post
The schematic only shows component connections, and that is only one part of what makes a successful build. The physical layout is also important and will have as much or more impact on performance as which components are selected for use. A poor circuit layout using premium parts won't perform as well, and won't sound as good as a proper layout using ordinary parts. Things like getting the power supply decoupling, circuit paths and grounding scheme right are critical for getting the best from these devices. As "they" say, the devil is in the details.

Mike
I agree. My design better than both Lm3886 and Lm1875.
Old 28th January 2015, 04:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What is 'better' about your design? Other than it's yours and therefore to you will always be better?
Old 28th January 2015, 04:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinself View Post
I purchased the assembled kit from ebay.
The PSU is interesting, I know a lot of audiophiles don't like this setup - here is what I did.

I connected 2 DC-DC boost converters to two 12V 5 A switching supply to get +/-30V. This I cleaned up using LM350 and a low pass filter. The sound is pretty good. Silent, no hum, no hiss.
PSRR on a raw LM3886 is not wonderful. you may want to build a better PSU as your next project. Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier is a really good read if you have not seen it.

Hide this!Advertise here!