Technics SU V4X and SVI2004 operating temperature

Pop in known good 1124/2632 combo, they handle the load better.

The amplifier has a liquid filled heat pipe... if the amplifier is not level (especially if the right hand <volume control> side is sitting lower than the power switch side) the liquid will not be behind the power ic.

The 2.5V capacitors are better... safe operating voltage is a good thing and at 10 farad, the memory will be long... run amp for around an hour or 2 to fully charge these

On phono eq pcb C113, C114 1uf 5-V NP - there are 2 6.3V 2200uF c103 c104 for power supply stabiliser there too...

On tone board... c303 c304 50v 3.3uF.... c315 c316 25v 4.7uF and c321 c322 25v 10uF

Power amp... C501 C502 50V 3.3uF and on NFB c503 c504 16V 22uF

Aren’t sure there is much to gain... I haven’t recapped any V4X amps yet other than those memory caps gold cap 3.3F 2.3v

Haven’t tried bipolar...

Never recapped a V4X though

The 2200uf ones on phono board rent signal path ones

The tone board had a few hidden away

The other 2 on power amp board are on NFB line

I am somewhat a skeptic of recapping for the sake of it... I’m thinking I will try one some day and see if it’s all it’s cracked up to be...

There are a lot of cap types... if I do try it I’d probably use cerafine caps and see how it goes

Hi all - newbie here. Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but topic seems appropriate...

I've been on a fair, early - mid 80s Technics amplification tour the past few years...I like 'em all so far...they all have their own characters! SU-V8, SU-V9, SU-V7, SU-V6, SU-8080, one or two midi SU-X fan-cooled units too (SU-X990D). Most of these have been picked up in a bit unloved condition, but with careful cleaning inside and out, some contact cleaning, and basic adjustment according to service manuals, they have in almost every case performed well, even very well! Pretty amazing after 40+ years and counting...

Now, as a keen reader of many other (expert) members' posts, I'd hankered for several years now after an SU-V4X...comments over the sound, the SUV-2004A, synchro-bias incorporation and so on, kept bringing me back to it. One came up at a fair price and it seems like a goodun' 👍...

...BUT, despite everything looking good, and it working pretty flawlessly after a clean of a crackly volume pot, and a still stuck (off) Loudness switch, I can't help but notice she idles stone COLD, and hardly warms up when driven??! (No jokes about DOH please!)

I can't understand it, given what's already been written before / above. It sounds pretty darn good - if I was being ultra-hifi critical it may have a slight hashy edge to the sound, but this could be other equipment / interconnect, just a red-herring. There is no lack of power and it keeps the same tonal balance even when driven quite hard....so no obvious problems...apart from NO Heat?

Can anyone let me know if this sounds really strange for an SU-V4X, it has an SVI2004A in place which looks original, according to info shared above. I've tried briefly tilting the unit to distribute the coolant properly as suggested too...but at idle she just sits there, stone cold? I realise the bias is automated / not adjustable in the usual way...Is it normal, or is the slight edge to the sound and low temp a clue to some other problem?

I can perform some checks with a DMM, but a few pointers from anyone with experience of the SU-V4X / SVI2004A temperature behaviour would be much appreciated...

In fact, any advice appreciated! ☺️

Cheers...