finally built a gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got really bored, and the temperature here is in the single digits, so I thought, hey, what the heck. Let's build a Gainclone.
I can't believe how good it sounds, considering what's in it! Cheap parts everywhere, but it seems to have a lot cleaner top end than my Yamaha receiver. Right now I have it hooked up running my tweeters (passively biamped) with the Yama on the bottom. It's nice and crisp and punchy, but not really harsh. Maybe a little etched, if anything, but not really bad (I'm suspicious of the recording that I'm listening to). It has good space around the instruments, and the front to back depth seems surprisingly good. The stereo image isn't the best I've heard, but it could be because of the shared power supply. It did seem to oscillate a little with the volume up 3/4 of the way, but I'm thinking that's because of pickup in the wires going to the volume pot (bad routing). I really didn't expect too much, so I didn't try too hard. I guess I should have listened sooner.

Congrats. Now you listen to it for a while, get it to burn in (and your ears to get used to it) then build another one properly :)

one day, ONE day when i get some time i'll re-build mine properly in a proper case ..

but before then i'm building a p3a POSSIBLY .. still not 100% sure

Wow... seems like this is a good project to embark on.

can you point me to the link like parts list, schematics, and building details if possible.

Please advice me on the power supply and all.. I am total newbiew to gainclone diy but seems like people are getting good results with it all the time in here.

Thanks.

DD looks like a very good start for gainclone. Almost complete for a dumb newbie like me...

Yes, and don't forget the links to the other GC sites which are also very helpful. If you follow all the advice, it is difficult not to produce an excellent sounding amp and there is no shortage of inspiration both on those web sites and on the chip amp forums like this one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.