First amp advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I am new to the site and have been browsing the forums for some time to get some advice on my upcoming project. I love the DIY aspect and have installed my complete truck stereo which consists of a 4 way setup, amps, processing, etc. Last year I built myself a pair of Karma Indignia's based on the audiokarma schematics. The speakers used and crossover parts can be found here:

https://www.parts-express.com/proje...m1010X497171Xe980da2c3eeafdea07050f94883ec8a2

My question is as follows: What would be a good first amp to build to run these speakers? I am primarily considering either chipamp.com's lm3886 stereo kit or the audiosector lm4780 kit. I am assuming I want a stereo kit and not a dual mono kit. I would like a really nice sounding amp that I can keep for the years to come. I do not think an ebay kit is my first choice given the QC issues people report.

Further down the road I would like to build something really really audiophile like the honeybadger with the deluxe 4u chassis. I want to get my feet wet with a smaller simpler amp for now.

Thank you for everyone's advice!

The Chipamp kit apparently needs a number of modifications to get the best from it, I have built one and it's very decent.

The Audiosector kit might not need so many mods, you attach the PSU boards to the amp boards (if I remember correctly) so it's a gain clone as opposed to a chip amp.

Both kits will work very well but some prefer the LM4870's sound saying it's less harsh, I don't find LM3886 harsh but it depends on implementation/personal taste/system etc

Hi pamantea,
Is your speakers have DA175 Dayton, 85 db, 8 Ohm, alu cone ?
What is your listening, quiet or like for party ?
Your source ?
Phil.

Hi Phil,

Yes, I am using the DA175-8 7" woofer and the DC28F-8 1-1/8" silk dome tweeter. The frequency response is attached and was pulled from:
AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia) - Page 29 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

For the most part, it will be between quiet and party. I don't think I will ever really need to use the volume to reach "party levels". I am thinking about making a GrubDAC and wiring it with the amp. Would that work? Or are there better suggestions than the GrubDAC at around the same price point? I will then use an iPod or iPhone connected via USB.

Thanks!

Attachments

• V3.5 Final MLS.jpg
    V3.5 Final MLS.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 423
Hi,
Audiosector is a good choice, now between classic or premium kit, if you have money, take premium with dual mono setup (two psu and two toroid).
Cause pcb and component quality, and sounding of course.
Phil.

Dont have the money for the dual mono setup unfortunately. If I get the premium kit, what else would I need to get? I am in Canada, can you point me in the direction of what else I would need? Thanks!

There really isn't a good kit you will have to piece it together.

I got a set of amp boards from chipamp.com and i thought they sounded very good I am building my own power supply so i didn't buy the power supply boards.

If you are on the pursuit of perfection your search will never end there is a lot of very good amps on this forum and they are not chip amps.

I suggest building a lm3886 amp then go on from there if you want top notch then build a class A amp they get expensive quickly as they need large heat sinks and power supplier.

All the advice on this forum is good just be specific about what you want. The most inexpensive amp is a chipamp it will deliver good results just don't expect it to be the end all.

You will get hooked and build more amps afterwords.
I apologize if I'm being to blunt.

If I get the premium kit, what else would I need to get? I am in Canada, can you point me in the direction of what else I would need? Thanks!

Hi,
For a first amp, LM3875 is the simplest, easy to build, and many poeple said : how can it work as well with so few components ?
First, you can read this :
http://www.audiosector.com/nigc_kit-users_guide.pdf
and see what is missing for you.
Living in EU, I can't help you for brand or shop, but I hope another poeple can..
You can ask directly to Audiosector here :
Audio Sector - diyAudio
Phil.

There really isn't a good kit you will have to piece it together.

I got a set of amp boards from chipamp.com and i thought they sounded very good I am building my own power supply so i didn't buy the power supply boards.

If you are on the pursuit of perfection your search will never end there is a lot of very good amps on this forum and they are not chip amps.

I suggest building a lm3886 amp then go on from there if you want top notch then build a class A amp they get expensive quickly as they need large heat sinks and power supplier.

All the advice on this forum is good just be specific about what you want. The most inexpensive amp is a chipamp it will deliver good results just don't expect it to be the end all.

You will get hooked and build more amps afterwords.
I apologize if I'm being to blunt.

I appreciate your help! It sounds like a toss up between the lm3886 or lm3875. I will just keep reading and then buy one of the kits. Knowing myself, I will definitely build more in the future!

Hi,
For a first amp, LM3875 is the simplest, easy to build, and many poeple said : how can it work as well with so few components ?
Living in EU, I can't help you for brand or shop, but I hope another poeple can..
Audio Sector - diyAudio
Phil.

Will this work as a chassis?

K:2109 Full aluminum Power amplifier chassis / AMP Enclosure / case BOX include terminals-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hi,
Audio Sector - diyAudio
Phil.

I bought the LM3875 premium amp from audiosector. Now just looking at transformer and chassis!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.