gc sounds different (better) after a while .... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2004, 02:02 AM   #1
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
Default gc sounds different (better) after a while ....

hey laddies & lassies,

fyi. normally i don't really switch my amps off but after receiving our last electricity bills we started to pay attention to switching off machines we weren't using. So for a while i switched off my gainclone at night. Strange thing is, when i switched it on in the morning it sounds like sh*t. If i leave it on for say an hour or so, it sounds right again, no matter whether i play music or not.

Directly after switch on there's almost no bass at all and highs are harsh and too bright. This fades away after an hour or so and it sounds right again. strange!

Does anyone share my experience?
Old 23rd January 2004, 08:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: gc sounds different (better) after a while ....

Quote:
Originally posted by matjans
Strange thing is, when i switched it on in the morning it sounds like sh*t. Does anyone share my experience?
As a Belgian living in the USA I can speak freely about this.
It's the over consumption of Heineken beer!!!!!
As you stated "in the morning' meaning while having a hang-over!!!!!

Try Stella beer instead, the sound will surely be mych richer and fuller! for sure!

Jean-Pierre

cheers !!!!
Old 23rd January 2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think it's a generally accepted view that audio equipment sounds better once it has had a chance to warm up. Electrons work more efficiently once their environment has reached their body temperature (or something like that)

Carlsberg will give you the best sound. Probably.
Old 23rd January 2004, 10:06 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ropie

Jim Beam.
Old 23rd January 2004, 10:17 AM   #5
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm

Jim Beam.

Who's he?

Is this going to become one of those threads? I better get my 2 pence worth in and say that I prefer San Miguel. The nutty flavour compliments the detail of the GC
Old 23rd January 2004, 11:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Perhaps the posting of a complete schematic would refocus our efforts.

Other than that, is the amp parallel with the Earths magnetic field at your location?
Old 23rd January 2004, 12:58 PM   #7
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Matjan,

Yes, I agree. On my Gaincard, the sound seems to take several days to get back to "sounding right" after it's been turned off.

To tell you the truth, when I first bought my Gaincard, it took more like three weeks before it became really musical. Before that I thought I had made a mistake with it's purchase.

I don't know why this happens, but it seems to take the GC much longer to settle than anything else I've ever used. I leave mine on all the time as the 25 watt model runs quite cool.

I owned the 50 watt model for a while, and that ran significantly hotter. I would consider shutting that one off if not using it constantly.

All of this makes me wonder if the root of the effect is in the power supply or the amp circuit.

I'm considering a battery supply with the clone I'm working on, but I wonder how this phenomenom would effect the sound, since the amp would have to be shut off to conserve battery life.

Oh, I like pale ale, myself.

Best,
KT
Old 23rd January 2004, 04:20 PM   #8
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi KT,

did you finally manage to open your Gaincard and took a look inside?
Do you post some of the findings?
What about the schematics/wiring of the Humpty (is it a bridge or two fullwave rectifiers etc.)

Klaus
Old 23rd January 2004, 04:59 PM   #9
corbato is offline corbato  India
diyAudio Member

When I first switched on my quick'n'dirty GainClone it sounded just that. And cheap too. Having put it away, I retreated to the familiar surrounding of the tubes. However, a few months ago I took it out, and after a feeble Peter Daniel treatment, did note that it takes around 20 days to break-in and few hours to warm-up. Thereafter, its just marvellous.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ropie
Ahh…nothing like pure audiophile grade Kingfisher lager for me.
Old 24th January 2004, 05:06 AM   #10
Alex S is offline Alex S  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KT
I'm considering a battery supply with the clone I'm working on, but I wonder how this phenomenom would effect the sound, since the amp would have to be shut off to conserve battery life.
KT,
just leave it connected to the batteries all the time. I do that and the batteries (I use 2x 12V 7.2Ah SLAs paralled per rail, eight pieces altogether for the whole amp) still lasts for weeks (stays above 12V), although I make it a point to recharge every Sat night so as not to unduly stress my chargers.

Or you can leave the charger(s) on all the time, switching them off only when listening. In fact, this is the recommended scheme for SLAs which like to be floated at a constant voltage (of around 13.6V, this value depending on ambient temp). In this scenerio, do keep the charger(s) physically away from the batteries as the heat from the charger(s) could shorten batteries life over the long haul.

Hide this!Advertise here!