LM3886 "fullrange"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Philfr, your schematic has a wrong layout of the ground connection to chassis!

It should be:

Mains Earth -> Chassis -> Ground Loop Breaker.
That's copying the error in the ESP schematic.

ESP shows the PE wire going to the "ground loop breaker" (I call it the Disconnecting Network DN) first and then a tail going off to the Chassis.

I have told a few that ESP is showing it incorrectly.

The PE wire should go direct to Chassis. Nothing else gets in the route.

Then quite separately the DN connects the Main Audio Ground (MAG) to Chassis. This connection should be beside the MAG, not a long wire back to the PE.

Still hum...

Switching on and off is very bad for my heart... the sound is very bad..

But when I switch on there is also still a hum, this hum gets worse when I fit the amplifier in it's aluminium sleeve and when I connect the DAC the hum also gets slightly harder.

Well the DAC is new so there still could be a problem, but before the upgrade the amp was dead silence and now I installed the breaker there is a hum...weird.

I enclose two pictures one of the outside (with shoebox on) and the inside.

Maybe I have forgotten to say that I use a separate case for the power supply.
Earth makes contact there to the chassis and goes with quite a long wire to the amp where it connects to the chassis and then connects to the loop breaker.
R.

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpg
    IMG_6108.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_6111.jpg
    IMG_6111.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 481
Hi,

The hum is also present when there is no source connected, and this moment I am working on my second source so I can't switch.

Yes you are right each cable consists of 5 cables V- PG- V+ PG+ and Earth. I have included some pics.

And I think that the thump is my punishment for copying the Old Naim look...my old NAP140 had an even worse thump and the answer from Naim was to not switch the amp off..:).

R.

Attachments

• IMG_6113.JPG
    IMG_6113.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_6114.JPG
    IMG_6114.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_6115.JPG
    IMG_6115.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 454
Hi guys,

This afternoon and evening I worked hard on a second source (DAC) for some more testing. Since the housing of this DAC is a work in progress (let's say development) it took quite some time to put this simple DAC into a working source. I could put it back on a plank of wood but it had just left there..

I also checked all the connections on the amp and power supply, there where some improvements to the made. So tomorrow I can look at your suggestions and do some testing.

R.

Well it has been a long day and in the end there is succes and failure...and more questions than answers..

I will keep it short....

I had three pairs of broken interconnects? Who could have imagine that
The "hum" has gone....
The hum has gone in combination (Chipamp)with my second source not with the new Dac.

We have tried many combinations and in the end it became very confusing. One thing is clear there is also something wrong with the wiring in my house so that even a loop breaker won't help.

But there is also good news! the Chipamp with it's "upgrade" sound brilliant! Thanks for that.

now it is time for a drink...

Hi,

The hum is also present when there is no source connected, and this moment I am working on my second source so I can't switch.

Yes you are right each cable consists of 5 cables V- PG- V+ PG+ and Earth. I have included some pics.

And I think that the thump is my punishment for copying the Old Naim look...my old NAP140 had an even worse thump and the answer from Naim was to not switch the amp off..:).

R.

I know it's a bit late, but it appears you have your AC wiring ziptied to your signal input wiring. They should be as far away from each other as possible. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.