Toroid Transformer Mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tom
You ask WHY? Shorted turn.
The top cover shorting to the mounting hardware. This caused welding the bolt to the top cover and tripping the circuit breaker.

Epoxy filled and using a counter bore the top of the bolt is below the surface of the transformer.

Best Duke

So it might be read that BGW sold big power amps with heavy transformers ... glued to the case :eek:

:D

Just curious -- Antek provides a toroidal shields made of steel:

Misc - Steel Cases - AnTek Products Corp

The shield is constructed of a thick metal post in the center and a cylindrical cover that covers the torroid but does not quite reach the bottom of the chassis to which the torroid is mounted. Meaning, the center shaft is about 3mm longer than the skirt so there is a similar gap all around. I figured this had to do with cooling, but I wonder -- the gap would seem to prevent a shorted turn as well. Is this correct?
The gap is filled with the rubber pad they give you with it, thus isolation and no shorted turn unless the top of the case comes in contact with the shield without some sort of insulation.

Screw the toroid to either the top of the toroid case OR to the bottom plate of the amp case. Not to both. If you do both, you still have a shorted turn. I bolt the toroid with the supplied hardware to the bottom (rubber to toroid to protect it). You could then mount the case over the toroid, but separate from the center bolt. Again, continuous loop of metal around and through the donut hole makes a shorted turn - it doesn't have to contact the toroid windings. No continuous loop, no short. For extra insurance and to minimize any vibations, you could mount the case on small rubber/neoprene washers (between the toroid and amp cases).

On a related note, I heard someone ponder if they had a problem related to close coupling of the center bolt to the case without actual continuity (mounted to the amp case bottom plate with the bolt and close to but not touching at the top). This was an accomplished engineer/audio designer. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Could there be any induced field that would cause noise in such a case?

What do you think of that :
No screw at center toroid, no vibrating, no RF problems ?

Also no clamping force on the toroid. One drop of the amp and the transformers will be rattling in the chassis.

I don't understand what problem someone is trying to solve here. Which RF problems are you referring to?

There may be some RF emitted when the rectifier diodes turn off. This can be dealt with by using fast, soft-recovery diodes. A capacitor (or RC snubber) across the secondary usually takes care of it as well. A can around the transformer will do nothing to the 50/60 Hz hum field, unless it's made from mu-metal. The hum field (leakage field) is tiny for a toroid anyway. That's why they're used a lot in audio. The field stays in the core where it belongs. For mechanical vibration, potting seems to be the obvious answer.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.