TA2024 is bridged...basic question about what that means - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2014, 03:54 AM   #1
slopps is offline slopps  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TA2024 is bridged...basic question about what that means

Am I correct in saying that, with a bridged amp such as the TA2024, any audio that was specifically split for a certain channel will no longer be split but rather each speaker will receive the same data?
IE: a song that was originally recorded to have bass or drums play on the right speaker while vocals played on the left speaker, once passed through the TA2024, each speaker is just going to play the same thing: the combined signals.

If that's true, great, that's exactly what I wanted. I am trying to go out to a left and right speaker, but I want to both to have the same signal.
Old 5th November 2014, 04:49 AM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Sorry but you are very confused and mixing different and unrelated things.

If a song was mixed to have, say, bass/drums on right and vocals on left, you have two different signals, usually called "stereo".

They require to be kept separate all the way, so will use different channels on the recording media (tape/CD/MP3/vinyl/FM/whatever), electrically separate preamps, separate power amps and speakers.

If you use a single amplifier (standard or bridged is not the point) it will have one input and one output, although it may drive more than one speaker.

If you combine both channels (L/R) into a single one, in order to drive your one amp, now you have a mono signal and will hear the same through one or more speakers.

Last edited by JMFahey; 5th November 2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 5th November 2014, 03:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the reply. I must still be confused...

My TA2024 has an input for R + -, and L + -, which I know is stereo input (separate signals for L and R channels). It also has outputs for R + - and L + -, which I know is also stereo output.
So if I did in fact want the speakers to have the same signal, ie. if a song was mixed with drums on the left and vocals on the right, I just want them to be combined and play through both speakers like a mono signal, how would I achieve that?
Everything I've read indicates that the TA2024 is "already bridged", and apparently I don't know what that means

Thank you again for the info, and I apologize for my ignorance!
Old 5th November 2014, 04:22 PM   #4
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

The TA2024 two channel amplifier (stereo) is like any other stereo amp that simply takes the weak signal that is put into it and makes it powerful to drive a speaker. That is it! Whatever signal goes in on the left comes out of the left and same for the right.

Bridging an amplifier is a technique to make the output stronger at a given supply voltage. The TA2024 uses bridged outputs.

To mix the signals to mono, you want to do that before the signal is put into the power amp. I assume the - terminal on the amp inputs is both ground (as it is on my Ta2024 board). Take your L and R input signal and run each through a 1k ohm resistor and connect the opposite ends of the resistors together. Connect the ends you tied together to both the +L and +R input of your amplifier. Connect the grounds to the - side inputs. Depending on the impedance of source, you may need to use different resistor values. Also I'm assuming your input signal uses common ground and not the differential type.

Last edited by johnr66; 5th November 2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 5th November 2014, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a ton for the info, that helps a lot!
That is exactly what I needed, and what I had initially planned on doing (using the resisters as described, as I've read how to do that in other places)
I had just started doubting that was the way to go when I started reading that the amp bridged, and I just got confused on what that meant.

thanks again!

Hide this!Advertise here!