Regarding LM4780 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2014, 11:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Regarding LM4780

Hello,

I am new to Audio Designs.I am using LM4780 in one of our audio project.I need to get 60W Output from each channel and I am operating with 35V DC to get the 60W RMS Output as per the datasheet.

How much load current should I give in Power Supply specifications to get the required 60W RMS Output?

It gave only supply current of 110mA in the datasheet.How to calculate the Load current calculations for LM4780?

How to measure the wattage of the Audio Power amplifier when any audio signal is applied from PC or from any source?With volume changes in file, the current consumption in Regulated Power Supply is also varying.

Is there any instrument to measure the wattage of Audio Power amplifier?

Suneetha.
Old 25th October 2014, 12:33 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The +-35Vdc is the voltage on the supply pins while the amplifier is delivering the maximum power. Check what the datasheet says.
The PSU will have to supply a higher voltage during the quiescent and quiet music/audio state.
Expect at least +-38Vdc as the PSU voltage into the quiescent amplifier to stand a chance of achieving 60W maximum output.
This higher voltage will sag when significant power is delivered. A poor PSU will sag more than a good PSU.

BUT !!!!!
you MUST design your PSU so that it does not go over +-42Vdc, even when the maximum mains supply voltage is right at the top of the suppliers tolerance.
Many countries can achieve a fairly tight +-6% on the nominal supply voltage. Some countries could be around +-10% on the nominal supply voltage.

YOU have to choose your transformer to make sure you don't supply over-voltage to your chipamp.

Hide this!Advertise here!