Chinese LM3886 + 6N11 diy kit - worth or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi,

Is there a point of using tube in such amp? Is it worth its money? ~$50.

From seller: The circuit uses a 6N11 ( or 6922 or 6DJ8) as the input stage to enhance the musicality of the amplifier.

Pics are here:
T2eC16ZzUE9s38D5dBRlK4znkg60_57_zps0a2aa59b.jpg

T2eC16ZQE9s3HFgQYBRlKyT7dmQ60_57_zps43642899.jpg

_57_zps825ee38a.jpg

KGrHqJjgE0vfd6Q-BNZd7ipDbg_3_zps7e9765a4.jpg

KGrHqZkwE1LEcVU-BNZd7T2QJw_3_zps44197c53.jpg

ccdbae02_zpsf1398c6c.jpg

970050c0_zpsa3accc17.jpg

More from the seller:
MAIN FEATURES:
Output Power 68W+68W
Power Supply: AC220V or AC110V available
Front Panel color:Golden or Silver (If no note,we will sent Random)
Output impedance: 4-8 ohm
SNR≥ 92db
Conversion: 19V/us
Intermodulation distortion: 0.04%
Size:230 mmX 310mm X 90mm

This power amplifer using Tube 6N11 as preamp,and it also include speaker protection circuit,Independent filter,etc,With it you can enjoy Charming music.

No, there's no point in using tubes unless you specifically want the "tube sound." (in Europe, the "valve sound") The whole point of going back to the future with tubes is that they distort in a musical manner, while op amps (chip amps) don't distort at all--or hardly at all. Tube heads just like the sound of tubes better.

Is it worth the money? Compared to the LM3886 or otherwise? You can't compare the cost of op amps vs. tubes, it's apples and oranges. It's the nature of the beast that tubes cost more--which I personally suspect is a selling point for tube heads.

Still, looking at the whole thing objectively, 50 bucks is a good deal for the listed item. So if you have the money to throw around what the heck.

BUT be aware that you'll spend twice that and more on the required power supplies and associated hardware. Be aware also that tubes work up in the 300-volt range, which is lethal voltage, don't get careless.

Last edited:
My brother and I bought 3 of these.
I think they are worth the money and they have a "musical" attitude.
Not the very high-end, but acts as a decent no.2 amp in a small system.
Some nitpickings and mods: (well, what do you want for nothing?):
C21 is now 3,3 uF w/ 0,1uF bypass
C20 is 3,3 uF (2,2 +1+0,1). C14 is 100 uF.
The 10 000uF are multiplied by 2 (now 20 000 x 2)
The tube is replaced by a Sylvania (best tweeter image in our system).
The potmeter is bad...
We had som oscillation noise when they were used in an active system (three way electronic crossover), but in stereo mode there were no problems.
Norwegian thread including some pictures:
6n11 + LM3886

I have one of these kits, and my main caps leaked in a year or less, and its not even built. So, figure on replacing all teh caps before its even built.

Then, I have talked to several people about it - That tube is meant to run 300v, the amp is not. So no 300v as it sits, but 300v can be jigged into it if you have the knowledge and inclination to do so.

So you can do somehting like pull the right leg off the tube etc etc and feed it 300v.
may sound a bit better (warmer).

I have no idea, I wont be geting on this project too soon. But you never know - in my life anything can happen.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.