Newbie needs advice-help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2004, 05:38 PM   #1
B.Keary is offline B.Keary  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie needs advice-help

I have been lurking on this form for a while now and have decided I'd like to try and build a gainclone.I have no expierience building electronics and this will be my first project.
I had originally thought of spending two-three hundred dollars but have decided that I will probably have to spend more.
I think what I'd like to do is make a three channel amp using three gainclones. The idea is one amp for left, right and sub. I was thinking of using the LM3875's. I would like to double up the LM's to give me 100 watt amps. I would also like to have seperate volume controls for each amp. I would prefer to purchase a power supply that could power everything.
Is this doable?
Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I can't read a schematic very well but I get the general idea.
Thanks in advance, Bill
Old 17th January 2004, 07:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I assume you want one transformer for your power supply. The transformer should have dual secondarys so you can get full rectification. If you want your power supply in a seperate box then all you need is a larger transformer 1 1/2 times larger than recommended. Also, it would be a good idea to go with larger filter caps and rectifiers since there will be more current draw through the power supply. Other than that just build the power supply like on the schematic and have three lines running off each rail to the respective amps.
As for doubling up the IC's, I think its is a bit more complicated than simply adding another one. I am not sure though.
Old 17th January 2004, 07:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What you want is doable but I would suggest for your first project to start with one amp. This will allow you to get familiar with schematics (and the actual parts they represent) and how to connect everything up. It would also give you a "test" amp to try the GC out on different speakers.
I wonder if anyone in Canada is making a GC PCB? The investment in a PCB would greatly speed up your learning curve.
Old 17th January 2004, 08:25 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I agree, don't run before you learn to walk!

If you haven't already been there, you may find my Gainclone FAQ page a good starting point. There are other Gainclone pages there which will be of help.

IMHO P2P (point to point) wiring is better than a PCB for learning how a circuit goes together as you actually see where the connections go to as opposed to just 'plugging in' parts on a PCB where the tracks will be a little confusing to follow for a beginner.

Hide this!Advertise here!