New guy, wondering about the LME49723 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2014, 06:26 PM   #1
matdogg is offline matdogg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New guy, wondering about the LME49723

Hey everyone, new here and really excited to start getting my hands dirty with some audio equipment. I've been doing various electronics projects for years and now I'm venturing into combining my electronics hobby with my love for great sound!

For a little background, my first project is to build a small, inexpensive, decent sounding system for my girlfriend to play music from her computer. I just bought a grubDAC kit, and I plan on buying some of the new Noontec Zoro II HD headphones when they're released here in about a month.

ANYWAY, now I need to build an amplifier to pair with the grubDAC. I bought a few LME49723 ICs from digikey (kind of an impulse buy ) based on their input voltage (can be powered by USB), quality and price. Then I looked to find an amplifier design around that chip and I can't find a single one! Does anyone have experience with this chip who could steer me in the right direction, or should i ditch the 49723 and go with something else?

Thanks for the help! Looking forward to being more than just a lurker here from now on!

Last edited by matdogg; 21st September 2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 21st September 2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The LME49723 is an operational amplifier or opamp for short. So is it a headphone amp you are after building ? yes ? If you meant driving speakers then no, it is not suitable for that.

(This chip can be used in pretty much any standard opamp circuitry so no problems over the choice)
Old 21st September 2014, 07:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I'm looking to build a headphone amp. Sorry if that wasn't clear. So you're saying most amplifier designs I can just drop it in with no component changes? I'm down to do a little experimenting, since like I said I bought a few, but I wanna do it right eventually.
Old 21st September 2014, 09:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's entirely suitable for building a cmoy, a single-chip amplifier. Or you could use more than one in parallel to get greater current drive if you wanted to, or build a dual loop amplifier with a high current opamp or even a discrete buffer.

'No component changes' is dependent on the circuit. Opamps are frequently exchanged by enthusiasts, rarely with disastrous results, but an overheated opamp due to inaudible oscillation is not unknown.

Have a look at Tangent's site:-How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Pretty much as CC says. Yes, they should "drop" into most designs with no issue.
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. Now to pick my favorite design...

Hide this!Advertise here!