Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2004, 05:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Seeking gold, ganged RCA panel jacks:

Anyone know where I can find ganged (2, 4, or 6) gold RCA panel jacks that are mounted on a piece of plastic with two screw holes for mounting on a panel?

The 3/16" thickness of most of the singles doesn't help me much. I am building a GC enclosure out of solid oak. My walls won't be very strong @ < 3/16".

(Like my headphone amp, linked here

My new baby

If anyone knows of any deep-mount singles, that'd be cool, too.

In a pinch, I suppose I could make them. But I am not very good at plastic/metal work.

What I am looking for is just like the "dual RCA jack" at the bottom of the link, but with better quality jacks:

http://www.wytekdirect.com/Audio/rca..._and_jacks.htm

Muchas Gracias.

GnD
Old 16th January 2004, 02:46 PM   #2
Morse is offline Morse  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Grahamn;

I've run into the same problem ("short" components with thick wood chassis) and now use 1/8" thick aluminium sheet stock as "mounting plates". Just buy some 2" wide (or 3" wide or whatever) stock and cut off the right length with a conventional saw and mitre box. Then round the corners using a file and drill holes using a punch to establish centre and a conventional power drill (you do need to clamp the piece down to a scrap piece of wood - otherwise it's got a tendency for the drill to "screw it's way through the wood", which makes it hard to control).

Don't know if this is what you're after, but it's just a thought.

Good luck with it!
Ja mata,
Morse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gnat back.jpg (35.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 16th January 2004, 02:59 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Not exactly what you asked for, but they solve the problem.
Made by Neutrik they are a good quality RCA mounted in a recessed XLR-size plate.
I've used these. They are very nice
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2_204_1386454248 copy.gif (5.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 17th January 2004, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys!

Both excellent ideas.

Nice tube amp, Morse. What is it? Nice woodwork, too.

And that Neutrik jack is damn-near perfect, Dhaen.

I am gonna case my IGC in oak -- and just found a wonderful pair of Fostex 103-based full-range birch-plywood speakers last night that I now have the hots for.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html

This guy has about a dozen projects online and does beautiful work.

I love this hobby.

GnD
Old 17th January 2004, 02:19 AM   #5
nuppe is offline nuppe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Maybe this is worth a look?

It's in sweden so the cost might be too high, but i bet you could find something similar in your parts too:

Gold-plated female socket for PCB mounting

BTW:It says gold-plated, but the picture looks more like nickel or something to me... (ELFA has for the most part pretty good stuff, so maybe it's just the photo).

/Andreas
Old 17th January 2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Mad_K is offline Mad_K  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Maybe this is worth a look?

Quote:
Originally posted by nuppe
It's in sweden so the cost might be too high, but i bet you could find something similar in your parts too:

Gold-plated female socket for PCB mounting

BTW:It says gold-plated, but the picture looks more like nickel or something to me... (ELFA has for the most part pretty good stuff, so maybe it's just the photo).

/Andreas

They are gold plated, but are not very suited for thick panels...
Old 17th January 2004, 08:10 AM   #7
Morse is offline Morse  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Grahamn;

>>>...Nice tube amp, Morse. What is it? Nice woodwork, too...<<<

Thank you. That's the Gnat, a 6BM8 miniamp I built a while back. It's got about 3 wpc, and cost a bit over $100 in it's current configuration; the biggest limitation is the poor bass response due to the cheapie output trafos, but I plan a nicer version with better iron. You can see pics of some of my other amps at my site: http://home.earthlink.net/~shidenkai/index.html It doesn't include pics of any of my chip based headphone amps, or the TDA2030A that I (finally) got working about 10 minutes ago. That's playing in the background now on it's breakin trials and Gary Puckett and the Union Gap sound just fine.....

>>>...and just found a wonderful pair of Fostex 103-based full-range birch-plywood speakers last night that I now have the hots for...<<<

Aha! A man of taste....the Fostex's are my current fave drivers - they represent a truly awesome cost/performance ratio.

If you've not heard the FE103E, give it a chance to break in a bit before you judge it. All the Fostex's that I've worked with have needed considerable breakin time - but it's worth it. Expect the midbass to be a little lean at first, but that's normal. And of course you can't expect the deepest bass from a 4" driver...but do expect some really incredible vocals and a sound field with some depth to it.

Good luck on your projects!
All the best,
Morse

Hide this!Advertise here!