Help about keeping Op-Amp in amplifier design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I am designing an amplifier for my PC. It will be built on LM3886. I am in doubt should I use a Op-Amp behind the amp or not. Currently my PC runs with a Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound card attached with a old Home Theater speaker setup. The amp on the Home Theater does not have any Op-Amp in it, i.e. my audio signals from computer is directly fed on to the amp and it sounds pretty good. here is the start point of my confusion. so here is my questions....

1. Should I use a Op-Amp?

2. If used, should it be a buffer or voltage/current gain amplifier?

3. Or it should be designed like a tone control having fixed value passive components (i.e. omitting the use of Bass/Treble control, rather fixing the circuit to operate in a specific frequency like High/Mid/Low pass filter)?

Thanks for the replies buddy. I have planned to use this IC for the sub channel. Can you people suggest any good IC around 20-30 watts for the surround channels that will delivery crisp and soothing details of percussion? If I make a 7.1 system then is this wattage of the overall amplifier be good, any suggestions?

TDA2050 was great value for its price, but it has been discontinued by ST and the last original lots are being cleared out by ST distributors. At least, that's what my local retail vendor claims, while justifying the current higher prices for the part (about USD 1 retail, which is still good value, but you can probably get the LM1875 for about the same price).

Just checked the datasheets. LM1876+LM1875 seems to be a good choice for surrounds. I think, a 30volt 6A transformer might be enough for 7 channels, keeping Transient Response (so called PMPO) in the mind. Right?

And again, should i use op-amp to control tonal quality of the circuit (not the tone control circuit, but kind of buffer/pass filter) or it is ok to feed the signal direct to the IC?

What about ST ICs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.