Downsizing a toroid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a bit over the edge but here it goes. I have this 800VA toroid with dual 67VAC secondaries. What you guys think about lowering the voltage to put it in a GC?
It will be with about 1/3 the original voltage and I guess with 1/3 the power (260VA?), so that would not be a problem. But it would be an enormous amount of unwinding. And the primary can become a mess. Is the primary located near the core or are these txs built by coats?

Miguel

Doesn't any of you guys own a map? I am assuming we are
talking about a hole straight through the centre of earth,
since otherwise he may as well dig it anywhere he likes.

On my map Adelaide is at 138E 35S, which would mean he
comes up at 42W 35N, which I don't recommend. Our dear
friend will get very wet since that is roughly between the
Azoers and the Bermuda Islands.

carlosfm said:

Talking of Azores...
That's Portugal.:D
Azores and Madeira belong to Portugal.;)

Yes, I know, so although he would end up quite far from the
Azores too, you were closest, at least. :)

Actually, when I checked up the coordinates of Adelaide and
checked where the "opposite" was, I hadn't expected it to
be that far off from mainland Europe. We learn in school that
New Zeeland is opposite from Sweden (haven't checkec how
accurate that is, I admit), but considering the distance between
NZ and Australia, and the size of Australia itself, I realized it
was probably quite difficult to make any good guesses.

BTW, Madeira is nice, and I have heard that the Azores are
similar or even more beautiful.

I guess I´ll give up on that tx.

I am not a civil engineer but I guess that when they make a bridge they multiply everything by some 20 to 50% more to make sure the whole thing doesnt break apart (any confirmations please?). So a hole with 50% to any side will be anywhere you want in this part of the world...

Miguel

miguel2 said:
I guess I´ll give up on that tx.

Hi,
why?
Usually secondary windings are up and are usually bifilar wounded (both sec together). For test (how many windings for one volt) wound let say 10 windings with some spare wire on transformer, measure generated voltage. You will than find how many windings you must putting off. Your transformer will be 800VA with smaller sec. voltage too, only wires current capability will be smaller. In application where you don't need high current all the time (GC for example) this isn't so important.

Regards

Hi moamps,

I get the turns/volt part but the rest is confusing me.
You are saying to unwind x turns of the secondary, cut them off, and get the desired voltage right? So primary will be untouched (it is near the core?) and only secondaries will be cut off. But if current on the secondary is lower, how come the tx still has 800VA? How about noise, because the secondaries may not be as tightened as in the original pack?

Miguel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.